Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing \"Partners\"

I wanted to address an issue that I've noticed - often, and offer some advice. (Or, at least, my opinion.) That's the practice of some folks to practice with one gun and use another one for police service or self defense. Years ago, I know actual PD's would routinely issue mild, .38 wadcutters for practice and .357's for duty ... I object, here, too. I enjoy shooting shooting all sorts of guns - but I don't cary one for work, anymore. So, I have this luxury. I'm very much sold on the idea of, "We only do - under great stress - what we're TRAINED to do ... what we've practiced ALOT. "Muscle-Memory," or the kinesthetic sense idea. These days, I'd very much recommned to anyone using a gun to always shoot the same one and the same ammo. The practice of using wadcutters in a .357 for practice and 110 grain hollow points for work was just not wise. Neither, I think, practicing with a .22 target pistol and carrying a 9mm for work. I'm not wild about using one gun for, "off-duty," and another for duty, either. To my mind, if using a handgun - and I mean USING it, is part of your life style, LIVE with that gun and get mighty good with it. If you're a cop, unless you shoot SO MUCH that you can use your Browning target .22 for fun and your Python for hunting and your Glock .40 for work and a Karr for off-duty and not, "confuse,"your fingers ... you're a better man than I am.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Changing \"Partners\"

Have to agree with "rc",and I've always been a believer in "dance with who you brought to the dance"! Here is an "urban legend",that I read years ago;no proof as to its veracity. Seems that a certain P.D. issued mild wad cutters for practice and qualifications,and 125 jhp Federals were the choice for "carry". One plainclothesman,who was NOT a "gun lover" and rarely fired his S&W M-66 snubby,got into a "social situation",at a stakeout. First 125 jhp he touched off was the first he'd ever fired,or I guess even been present for! He thought the gun had exploded and dropped it! It was also first night shooting he'd ever done! Perp got away and the officer endured extreme ribbing for quite a while!

Another example is a casual friend I've met at a couple of gun shows. He took up shooting later in life,specifically Cowboy Action Shooting. He has become pretty proficent with a single action .45 Colt. Yet he became a little indignant when I crticized his choice of a CZ-75 type 9mm,which he has fired about 10 rds. through,"to break it in",as his nightstand,home defense gun. Unless he is afraid of a squad of intruders,the 2 SAA clones,.45 Colts,would be far easier and familiar to him! Just my ideas! Bud

·
Registered
936 Posts

Here, here! I worked with cops that carried snubbie .38s and M59 Smiths, day in and day out, but on range day, showed up with 6" Pythons and K-38s. One even carried his "Snake" in a lowslung buscadaro rig!

For about 18 years, I carried an aluminum fullsize 1911 that I had built. On duty or off, that was my carry gun. I preached to my rookies the folly of carrying a .25 ACP as their sole offduty gun. Some listened, some didn't. I stressed that if you need help while ON duty, a radio call would make it snow police, but OFF duty, it is just you, your gun, and your wits.

Extra ammo is important also. I once had a 1911 mag come apart while working an offduty job. The baseplate popped off and all 8 rounds, the spring and follower went flying across the floor. Glad I had 2 extra mags and 2 in my bag in the truck.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I agree with all that has been said 100%. It is hard to argue against good common sense. My question is: are any of you using a Colt double action as your primary duty/defense weapon given the ammunition and practice necessary? I have a CCW license but because Colt no longer makes or services(?) these revolvers or they can be considered obsolete(?), I am reluctant to employ one in this manner because it could need servicing under heavy usage. I am a great fan of Colt DAs but have been reluctant to select one for this purpose. Are my concerns valid?

·
Registered
80 Posts

You guys probably want someone to argue with you, so here goes....

I practice with mild .38 loads beacause they don't hurt my hand, don't hurt the gun, and allow me to concentrate on my marksmanship.
My Detective Special kicks like hell with full or +P loads.

However, I do use full loads when I'm carrying. Don't think there is any problem.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Yes,Jerry,but at least you have shot the gun with "carry loads",are used to it,and what to expect,point of aim,recovery time etc. And I agree,about beating up the gun,and your hand(s) just to be "macho",especially the smaller framed ones. Wait until you get arthritis,or tendonitis,like I am getting,but not all from shooting;those "mild loads" will become more frequent,and in my case,the guns heavier! Bud

·
Registered
21 Posts

Coincidentally, I was firing my Police Positive yesterday for the first time along with my 2 S+W's. I kept thinking about your point every time I tried to push the cylinder latch in to reload. I doubt I will be in a situation where I need to do a reload under stress, and my brain instantly registered what I had done and corrected it so in a 'real' situation it would cost me but a second. Still had me thinking, though...
I practice to work on my handling/safe handling skills and accuracy, too, so I feel "target load" practice is legitimate. However, I always begin and end each shooting session with my carry load, both for familiarity and to 'rotate the stock'.

[This message has been edited by Jim PHL (edited 04-22-2005).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You betcha, Jim PHL. Your procedures sound like good ideas to me, too. Maybe I'm too much of a stickler for this thing but I know of many times I've reached for the thumb safety on my Official Police!!! My hand remembers shooting .45's in the army 30 years ago! I bring to this gun thing of ours 50 years of piano playing, too ... "Practice dosn't make perfect - only Perfect Practice Makes Perfect!" My hands often remember passges of music - even whole pieces that I just consciously do NOT remember - but the fingers still do the walkin'! Just some thoughts ... the bottom line, of course, is, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!" (A little musical humor there!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts