Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After acquiring this charter arms ar-7 not to long ago. And shooting 400+ rounds of high velocity plated 22lr. I have learned the following things when it needs cleaning it let's you know. The magiznes some like 8 rounds some like 7. I need to work on it as the gun feeds 90 percent of the time. But it will not feed or it will fail to extract a spent round, then it will feed one fail to extract. And smash the case of one in the magazine regardless of brand of ammo.

The magiznes in this thing to remove them when you get a bad feed. They are the hardest magazines of any gun I have ever owned to remove. Tales a lot more force than you would expect still surprises me. I have had some stiff AK, AR-15, and aftermarket removable sks mags. But the AR-7 takes the cake.

The gun can fire extract a round, and the next one can be a light strike happens when it's really dirty though. The feeding issues I have two good magiznes one iffy one. All things aside when it's clean it is reliable and it floats even assembled. It's accurate out to 100 yards. But it takes time to get good groups.

It's more of a 25-50 yard gun or closer in my opinion. I'm sure a better shot than myself could do much better with it. It groups about 4 inches or less at 50 yards for me. The bonus is its the only gun you can't loose in a boating accident. It floats bought it to take out fishing, camping, and use primarily.

Attachments

· Registered
13,203 Posts
I have two AR-7s...an original Armalite and a recent Henry made example. The Henry I have yet to shoot but I did replace the orange plastic front sight with an original metal sight blade...the plastic one just doesn't seem durable in any way.

The original Armalite is very reliable and more than reasonably accurate...as long as I use an original Armalite magazine. Later magazines...regardless of maker... simply don't fit or work right.

The AR-7 is...within its design limitations...a very good tool. It doesn't have the best ergonomics and is somewhat crude but it meets its design parameters.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two AR-7s...an original Armalite and a recent Henry made example. The Henry I have yet to shoot but I did replace the orange plastic front sight with an original metal sight blade...the plastic one just doesn't seem durable in any way.

The original Armalite is very reliable and more than reasonably accurate...as long as I use an original Armalite magazine. Later magazines...regardless of maker... simply don't fit or work right.

The AR-7 is...within its design limitations...a very good tool. It doesn't have the best ergonomics and is somewhat crude but it meets its design parameters.
Could agree more I like the charter arms I have cleaned it up. And like I do with all my used guns I completely strip them down. And check over every part before firing. I do have original mags thankfully one isn't.

How is the mag release on yours once depressed. Is the mag always hard to remove it seems like it to me.

· Registered
13,203 Posts
The mag snaps in pretty tight but not objectionable to remove.maybe from years of use and wear. As long as the mag actually works I'm good with it. That's the big issue with original rifles.

· Registered
13,203 Posts
The AR-7 in the Bond movie was identified as being “point two-five caliber”. That makes it very rare I guess.

Reactions: MarkInTx

· Registered
255 Posts
Curious about your AR7 having function problems...

We have two AR7s made by Henry, both of which run very well and reliably (as reliable as anything can be with .22LR ammo... dud 22LRs are not extremely uncommon) with seven round, eight round and 15 round magazines...

Different makers have different quality I suppose...

FWIW

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts