Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Cheap Diamondback @ show

While Diamondbacks are "too new" for my area of Colt interests,saw a 2 1/2" .38 Special,with the "service stocks",blue,for $375 at a show in N.H. today. Had some finish wear,and light "frost",but probably 90% or a tad higher;no box. Looks like a "glove box" carry gun,as temperature changes can create that finish wear. Timing was a tad off. Dealer also had a very well worn(sadly) Heavy Barrel Official Police,with a hint of bore wear. Wouldve made a great "vehicle gun" for me(and a companion to the mint H.Barrel O.P. I have),but dealer wanted too much for it;($300!). So,it is possible to uncover,a low priced "snake in the grass". Bud

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Re: \"Cheap Diamondback @ show

I saw a 4"-38spl Diamondback today for $700 (asking price). It was as new. It also was the only DB in the show (450 table show, I believe). I personally would not have bought that DB as it isn't quite up to my standards regardless of price. I would rather abuse a Ruger.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I went to a show in Tampa yesterday. A guy had a 4" nickel .38SPL, 98%, no box, with no price tag. He said "make me an offer", told him it was nice, but I didn't need it, but it was probably worth $550-600 to someone. Came by later and he had a tag for $750 on it.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
46 Posts

That is a Real Steal....Anywhere

[This message has been edited by wd357 (edited 03-08-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts

I agree that the prices on these and most other Colts have gotten out of hand. I also agree with what manderson is saying about too many people that continue to pay inflated prices and this drives the price up. Sorry I can't agree on the use of the term ignorant.

Unfortunately this is basic economics. Supply and demand. I can't predict the future but I'd be willing to bet the price of the DB as well as other Colts are not going to be dropping. Not now, not any time soon, and not ever! That's my opinion. And I suspect it is also a fact.

Sure many of us would be happy to buy a pristine (NIB 99+) DB for $550 right now today in 2005. But these are the same guns we wouldn't pay $400 for 3 years ago, because we thought it was too high. In fact some folks may have thought they were too costly when they were selling brand new for $125. I think you get the point.

manderson is also correct that good deals can be found. Being in the right place at the right time certainly helps. But also knowing a good deal when you see one and acting quickly without hesitation is paramount. No time to second guess yourself.

Even though I don't need another one either, will admit that I would have bought the nickel gun DB68 saw for the $550 to $600 he mentioned. I would not have been willing to pay the dealers asking price of $750. But I have also turned down a lower condition gun (say 85%-90%) like lonewolf described for $400.

·
Registered
991 Posts

WS23, you are correct and I will retract my use of the term ignorant. In fact, you brought me back to earth and I remember why I started collecting in the first place.

I have always loved revolvers, particularly Colts, and I started collecting them in November of 2004. What struck me was the way gun laws are changing and specifically Maryland's law which required an internal lock on any new handguns manufactured after 12/31/2001. It occurred to me that these things are going to be much harder to come by right here in my lifetime (just turned 45 last Saturday).

I also stand on the side of those that appreciate earlier craftsmanship, before the plants were automated, and things were truly hand made. These are works of art in my opinion.

In reality, if I had the money I would probably pay whatever price to have the finest collection around.

BTW, I posted a week or so ago about a six inch Diamondback with an "R" serial number to find the manufacture date. It is definitely a first year production six inch from 1978. I bought it. The seller is very reputable and it is supposed to be new, unfired and unturned. I should have it in two or three weeks and will post pictures.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Knowledge is power... Yes, there are a few good deals around. For myself, it is not so much about getting a good deal all the time as getting a fair price. The key seems to be knowing when something is a good deal (or good price) and making a quick decision. The colt auto that Potlicker found at a yard sale is a great example. I sit here now and say it was a no brainer of a decision. But to be honest, I probably would have hesitated on the purchase as it is not in my area of interest. A knowledgable man such as Potlicker recogized it for what it was and made a decision.

WS23 and Manderson, I agree with both of you in terms of your feelings about the market. Now, I look at guns that are market priced and ask my self the question "How does it fit into my collection? and What do I think will happen in the future?" It is not only about money. The thrill of the hunt is a lot of it and then the pride of ownership after the purchase. I don't buy just anything even if it is a good deal. A good example of that was an as-new 2.5" 38 DB two weeks ago for $500. I just didn't want to tie up the money on something that I know I wouldn't sell for a long time NOW. If that was a 22, I would have been wanting to climb over people to get at it.

·
Registered
991 Posts

This is my little rant...

The problem is there are too many ignorant people that continue to pay inflated prices and it's turned this into a sellers market. The sellers will continue to profit at inflated prices as long as they are getting the money.

Most of the auctions are a joke with their unadvertised "reserve" price. I don't even mess with these unless it is something really hard to find and, of course, something I really want.

I'm not trying to advertise here, but most of my dealings have been with gunsamerica.com which is strictly classified ads. Set yourself up with a "wishlist" and all new posts will be emailed to you. Normally if you jump on it right away, you can find what you want at the right price. Not every seller is trying to rip people off, but the good ones don't last long.

This is how I got my 99.9% unfired, mint 4" Diamondback with original box and papers for $550.00

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

In a way, I kinda kick myself for not buying that 4" nickel .38SPL DB, but I already have a NIB one and I already have a lot of money tied up in DBs. Plus I need money for an extended vacation right now. Couple all that with the fact that I am now persuing a small Smith collection, so I passed. I'll kick myself later.
And as 22-rim said, most of the fun is in the hunt of the next one I don't have and will it fit into my collection and/or is it better than the one I have. JMHO

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts