Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$ Check - Colt New Army/Navy - Commercial pattern?

I'm posting this for a guy on another forum. He has a Hotmail account and can't register.

As follows.

"I hope the images help to further identify this big old Colt. I believe that the grip panels are incorrect, should be checkered hard rubber? I think commercial because of the dates on the barrel as the last date on top of the barrel is "Mar.5.95." Any help will be appreciated. It is a consignment gun that neither the shop or the owner (of the revolver) seem to know what to ask for it so after I cleaned it I offered to price it for them . . ."

Brian

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: $ Check - Colt New Army/Navy - Commercial pattern?

About all I can tell from the photos is that it is an early style frame, wrong stocks, no finish left. The butt should be stamped with the serial number, which would help to date it. If it were marked Army, Navy, or USMC on the butt that would enhance the value considerably. Mechanics and bore condition factor in also.

That being said, if it's a commercial version, the value would be low due to condition (if I were selling it, I'd be happy to get $200 for it).

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Re: $ Check - Colt New Army/Navy - Commercial pattern?

Hi Brian,

The Colt in the photos is either a New Army or a New Navy Model revolver. (Can tell without seeing other areas not shown-see below). This series of revolver was made between 1895 and about 1904. The serial range should be between 68xxx and about 242xxx, when Colt changed frame styles. The difference between the New Navy and the New Army model was the grip pattern. The New Navy had an oval with the word"Colt" at the top. The New Army had a "Rampant Colt" horse at the top of the grip. The frame for a New Navy also has a small "N" stamped inside the crane cutout near the assembly number, otherwise it is a New Army model. The serial number is found on the butt of the revolver only.

I would think that $200 would be top dollar for this gun judging condition... If you want more information on them, see my book "A Study of Colt's New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers 1889 to 1908"
Hope that helps... Bob Best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts