Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my latest 1906-ish .38 D.A. OM. It's a great gun in about 95% condition with only minor wear to the finish at the muzzle, and the leading edges of the frame & cylinder. There is one flaw however ~ there is a deep bruise on the right hand checkered hardwood grip panel (see pix ~ geeze, they're not as big as I expected, but I think you should be able to see what I'm talking about). The checker diamonds have been completely mashed smooth for about 3/4" - 7/8" by about 1/4" high at the base of the panel.

These particular grips are just about impossible to find, and as I'm kinda freaky about this sort of thing, I'm hoping there is someone here who can either suggest a way of resurrecting the diamonds to any degree or, better, who can refer me to a "grip man" capable of restoring this panel. If not, I guess I'll have to pimp it out and fit some pearls to the gun.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The least damaging fix would be to have the bruised checkering re-pointed by a good checkerer.

The bruise will still be there, but it'll be much less noticeable.

You could attempt to raise the bruise by steaming it, and than having the checkering re-pointed and refreshed.

You want to be careful here, since these older grips are getting very hard to find, and are expensive.
Better to leave it alone, than ruin a irreplaceable grip.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight, dfw. Upon reflection, I believe your final suggestion is the wisest course of action If nothing else, it is suggestive of a story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts