Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What suggestions are out there for repairing this set of stocks? Should I fill with epoxy of some sort or would contraction/expansion be an issue now or later? There is a small crack emanating out, toward the outside.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don't fill. They are perfect. They will never be visually perfect which makes them "perfect". (does that make perfect?) Character is what gives them their authenticity. You start messing with them will lower the value
P.S. They look awesome as they are

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
If you have some 'scrap ivory,' you can sand it to make a fine powder and place some of the fine powder in the chip and add a few drops of superglue. It will set up in a few seconds. Next you can add a little more powder and more superglue until you have built up the depression. Finally, you can sand the built up area with fine sand paper and even polish it if you wish.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
If you have some 'scrap ivory,' you can sand it to make a fine powder and place some of the fine powder in the chip and add a few drops of superglue. It will set up in a few seconds. Next you can add a little more powder and more superglue until you have built up the depression. Finally, you can sand the built up area with fine sand paper and even polish it if you wish.
Or, just go to a Dentist, they can match any color of tooth and fill it in for you. Most will do it for a good breakfast. :)

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Seal the crack, forget the chips. Can't see them when they're on the gun anyway.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
What suggestions are out there for repairing this set of stocks? Should I fill with epoxy of some sort or would contraction/expansion be an issue now or later? There is a small crack emanating out, toward the outside.

With respect to my forum friends, I think you hit the nail on the head regarding expanding and contracting. Working with ivory for over thirty years, it's been my experience that ivory will move and epoxy will not. Ultimately the bond will break. They look fine as they are. As for the small crack, I tell folks that there are two types of ivory. Ivory that has cracked..... and ivory that is going to crack.

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
As an engineer who spent over 30 years working with material for composite applications, I can report that yes, epoxy has a different coefficient of thermal expansion/contraction than does ivory. That is why when someone attempts a repair they should fill the repair plastic they are using with a material that has similar expansion/contraction properties as does the material being repaired. I had suggested using superglue (which is a cyanoacrylate, not an epoxy) along with ivory powder for the repair in question.
Your dentist does a similar process when they fill a tooth with the white ceramic filler. That ceramic material is infused with an acrylic material (binder) that is activated with UV light causing it to 'set up.' The dentist chooses the particular ceramic-based material that he/she feels will best match the part of the tooth which they are filling.
Even dental fillings will not last forever due to lots of hot coffee followed by ice cream and other harsh environments experienced in the mouth. I dare say that an ivory repair should last pretty well if the grips are not put in extremely harsh environments.
In speaking with a couple of people who work with ivory, I have been told they actually infuse cracks in ivory with superglue to stabilize the material. Using this technique does not mean that such ivory will not crack in the future, it just means it is going to hold up better with age and exposure to the elements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts