Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Police Positive Target model was made in .22 caliber, which would be the same size as your frame. However, the target model was made in two different frame sizes, so you would have to figure out the vintage of your PP for a match. "G" frame,1910-25, "C" frame 1926-41. Post war D frame is totally different.
Another candidate would be the Banker's Special.
Problem is, Target barrel has adjustable sight which might have to be altered when mated to a fixed sight frame, and the Banker barrel is worth big bucks in any condition. Could become an expensive project just getting the parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I came across and old beat up police positive in 38 S&W, not special. I'd like to chnage it to a .22 caliber.

What barrel and cyclinder do i need? Will it take d-frame barrel & cyclinder?

Not too fimiliar with Colts as have always played with Smiths. My Colts have been few and far between but always appreciated for craftsmanship.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robin,I am assuming that the beat up Police Positive in .38 S&W you have is a pre W.W.2 with the SHORT cylinder and frame window,so only a pre-war cylinder will fit. After the war,they went to the longer cylinder(and frame window)that had been used on the P.P. SPECIAL. I believe the barrel threads were the same. So,you would have to find a pre war .22 cylinder,a post war barrel,most likely from one of the 3" .22 Cobras made in late 60's and early 70's. Actually buying one of these 3" Cobras(only style offered in .22 lr.) might be your best bet. I have one,that is a great little shooter.

I know that Gun Parts had the 3" .22 Cobra bbl. a "few years ago". You will have to change the firing pin and bushing also,and the hand to match the new cylinder ratchet.

IMO,if I wanted a "fixed sight: D Frame,I'd look for one of the above mentioned 3" Cobras,in "shooter grade".

Speaking of "fixed sighted" D frames,I once read about 4" Police Positive made as a special run,in 4" fixed sighted as a training piece for an agency of Govt. Filed it away until I saw one a gun show,about 15 years ago! Price tag was $1000,but it wasn't worth it(to me),because the previous owner had bought it "surplus",the had it engraved,reblued,and fitted with ivories(not by Colt). A piece of Colt History made in to a "showpiece". Did see a great little P.P.Target.22 lr. "U.S. Customs" marked. Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lonewolf: I also have seen a 4" .22 PP, at a show in 2000. All original, about $900, but "ikke penge" (no money). About the same time frame another was advertised in either Shotgun News or the Gun List. I'd sure like another shot at one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
When the late, great Skeeter Skelton worked for the US Gov't, he found a PP Target in .22 LR in the armory and had it checked out to him, since he was on the pistol team. He wrote that when he retired, he tried to buy it but couldn't, due to the regulations in effect at the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't forget the problem of the firing pin.It can be bothersome.....

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts