Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

[HR][/HR]What height Heinie Cross Dovetail Front Sight Ramp with Tritium Dot (, .175 High, .185 High, .190 High, .200 High) should I choose to mate up with a plain (no dot) Heinie 1911 SlantPro rear sight on a 5” COLT government model?
I prefer a 6 0’clock hold.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Of course you can't do it now, but if you had the measurements of the original sights you could calculate the height needed. The barrel isn't necessarily pointing where the sights are. Generally the barrel is pointing lower than the point of aim.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
To get the point of impact you desire, it may take some trial and error. The chambering and chosen load will be factors as well. You might be able to use epoxy to build up the front sight until you get the point of impact you desire and then measure the result.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Check the "Government Model, circa 1954" thread to see how I offended at least three particular Forum members! After that experience, I now fear that every post I make may be inadvertently offensive to someone, especially since I have not received any remedial guidance to help me learn how to deliver proper, non-offensive responses. Until I learn what I did wrong, I think it prudent to put a disclaimer on every post I make.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
737 Posts
Judge, My dear ol' Grannie, the one in WWII combat boots, used to say , "If they can get their "butts" on their shoulders, they can get them off when they get tired of the smell". I think your valuable contributions to the forum far out weigh the "sensitivity"of the perceptions of some folks.
On a forum where expert,knowledgeable information is paramount it is NOT "How you say it, IT IS what you say". If you want the real info listen to the experts and quit your whining over "delivery". That's my opinion and there ain't no "humble"about it. I've seen this whining ,bickering , and challenging , of world class experts on other sites because, the OP doesn't want to believe he made a mistake. Enough already, Nick

·
Registered
737 Posts
fitter, IIRC, look through a Brownells catalog. I believe in the "sight" section there are several formulas to determine the measurements you need. Hope this is helpful, Nick

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
If you know the dimensions of the Heinie 1911 SlantPro, this Brownells site should be helpful: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you know the dimensions of the Heinie 1911 SlantPro, this Brownells site should be helpful: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator
Thanks but I'm not sure what to enter for the barrel diameter. I'm pretty sure it should be the same value front and rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts