Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrome 2\" Official Police

I have a chance at an excellent-condition two-inch Official Police in .38 for a decent price, but's in finished in chrome.
Where did that finish come from? I can't recall Colt ever using it, but I'm no expert.
If it is a refinish, can I get it stripped and refinished? It's a pretty nice gun and it'd be fun to run in an IDPA match, at least for someone with a sense of humor.
But I don't think I'm good with that chrome thing.
Thanks
Bill

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Chrome 2\" Official Police

Are you sure it's chrome, or is it bright nickel? Guns are sometimes advertised on the internet as chrome when the seller is not familiar with Colts and the fact that Colt did no "bumper chrome" factory finishes, just a very few hard chromes and those weren't OPs. A bright nickel finish will have a slight yellowish tint. A hard chrome finish can be all the way from very matte and gray white to somewhat shiny like matte or brushed stainless. If it were a hard chrome after market finish, although it wouldn't be collectible as original, that is an excellent finish and you are talking about refinishing anyway. I really suspect nickel unless you absolutely know otherwise. If it is an original 2", that is called "scarce" in the BB and there is also the typical 15% premium for nickel. You may want to snag it and keep it just as is. Not being able to see it, it is JMHO.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, I see it for sale at a reputable dealer from whom I've bought a number of guns, and the proprietor says it's chrome.
To tell you the truth, I think it really is. It doesn't look to have any yellow tinge- it does look like a good bumper, bright and glossy and white.
If I get him down to $250, I might go for it.
Thanks for the help.
Bill

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

A 1956 2" O.Police is my favorite concealment gun. I load it with 38/44 level loads,and feel well protected. Recoil and recovery are much better than the D frames.

Looked a long time for a 2" O.P. that was ORIGINAL. Lot of 2" O.P. bbls. were sold. Original nickle,2", would be doubly rare. Does the gun have a rounded butt??? Most 2" O.P.s came with them,versus the square stocks.

Seems like for $250,if gun is well timed,it would be a great carry piece!

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

If it has been refinished, which it would be if it were "bumper chrome", the roll marks on the barrel and proof mark and inspection stamp in front of and behind the trigger guard on the latch side would likely be faint, buffed away, filled in looking vs a sharp strike. The proof mark in front of the trigger guard is a triangular "VP". The inspection stamp behind the trigger guard is various single letters or digits. Look at some pictures here and on the auction sites and you will get the idea. Also, here is something you might look for http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post12047
HTH /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think I will go back and double-check all of these good and welcome suggestions.
I suppose some of us are showing our age by even knowing what a chrome bumper is.
Bill

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

So I don't drop the ball in the middle, here is an original nickel. Although the web resolution pics (and perhaps my photography) leave a little to be desired, you can see the rampant colt is sharp and complete, the VP and a J stamp show quite well and the sideplate to frame junctions are sharp and clean, not chamfered by buffing.

It, of course, depends whether a refinished gun needed any blemish removal or just stripping. Some refinishes are obvious and some are quite deceiving. Good luck.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts