Colt Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
It's the same one I posted before in another thread. Here you go sir!

View attachment 765772
Thanks Inspector...needed a pic of it to show a friend I wasn't dreaming.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Congrats thats a pretty gun! I recently picked up a Pietta made " Shootist" model. It has the same type engraving as yours.(not hand cut) As a big John Wayne fan I just had to have one as it pays tribute to the EMF gun that was given to him . It had an awful trigger pull. After a little polishing with a stone it became a truly great shooter. I like the way they copied the engraving on yours.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I purchased a Cimarron Custer model, and talked with the folk at Cimarron about an issue I had with the polishing on the left side of the trigger guard. At the same time I mentioned the ugly pin retaining thumb screw, and they said they would send the normal one out to me no charge. Great customer service.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
My guns, and the Piettas I have been looking at, have the tightest, smoothest, most perfectly timed actions I have ever seen on a SAA. Right out of the box. Better than any Colt with the best action job.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Winter finds me spending more time inside at the laptop while watching shows. It's a dangerous combo, as I peruse the inter webs too much. Finding this online a few months ago and being curious as to the quality, I traded a few gift cards and cashed in customer points for it, around $600 if I remember correct. Life would be far cheaper if I'd just go outside and lay in a snowbank. I have no idea if ole Teddy even had one like this. I know he had a few nice engraved guns that this could be modeled after, who knows.....

The engraving isn't bad for computer laser work but it's NOTHING like old school hand engraving. Most of it is embellished nicely with a few spots where it looks like they just stuck something there to fill a void. The scrimshawed plastic grips look a little cheesy. The fit and finish is actually pretty good and the action is really smooth, nice distinct clicks and a decent trigger pull. The BP cylinder pin screw is tacky and I really don't like it, so I'll have to track down a nickel screw to replace it perhaps. The one piece plastic grips are a first for me but they actually feel decent, unlike last century's plastic junk.

I didn't get it to admire, although it's not bad really. I got it to bang around, shoot a lot (both at the range and at the TV, hopefully not at the same time), leave laying on the table by the fire pit and just because....never really needed much of another reason I suppose. I only own one Uberti (10mm) and now this Cimarron/Pietta. Gotta say, for the price and build quality, really pretty darned good for what you pay.
View attachment 765599
View attachment 765600
View attachment 765601
View attachment 765602
View attachment 765603
View attachment 765604
Not bad for the price. I've seen pictures of Teddy out west wearing a SAA with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, in 44-40, that he carried in a Cheyenne style holster. Teddy had a lot of guns, saw one of his short barreled Colts sold at auction for a nice price.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts