Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Colt lightning made by (Cimmaron) Uberti, the same size as an original Colt lightning, or smaller? I think the original Colt Lightnings were smaller than the standard SAA's, but I don't one to compare to my SAA.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
You are correct in that original Lightnings/Thunderers are smaller than SAA's. I don't know what Cimarrons current lineup is, but it used to be that they had what they called a lightning but it was just a SAA with a birdshead grip.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Their website description seems to give us a clue.

"Since 1873 there has been a need for a smaller grip framed firearm with Model ‘P’ dependability."

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have this uberti thunderer with 45 acp and 45 colt clyinders. The frame is the same standard frame. By the way, I like the grip far better than other companys that dont have the hump on top. I also owned a old colt lighting and a 1878 DA army in .45 colt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I can determine, the Thunder 41 colt is the same size as a SAA, with a smaller grip. The "Lightning" 38 colt is a smaller gun, also with a smaller grip. I think the Cimarron Lightning and the original Colts are pretty close match.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have seen a birdshead gripped SA at my gun shop that is smaller than the standard "Model P" SA clones. These are in .32-20 and .38 Special only. I think these are the "Model P Jr." and Lightning models. Have not yet seen any .41, but wasn't really looking, either.

These do appear to be the same size as the old Colt Model 1877 rod ejector double actions. They are, of course, single action only, to comply with SASS regulations.

Incidentally, these are not all birdshead gripped as there are some smaller ones that have the traditional "plow handle" grip.

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
Cimarron's big success is the Doc Holliday Lightning with its Huckleberry shoulder holster rig with knife. I own one of these and the only thing that would be better would for it to have been made by Colt. The cost of this Cimarron is certainly in line with Colt prices. BTW, this Cimarron Lightning is simply a full sized SAA-type frame with the bird's head grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts