Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
circa \'66 Detective Special stocks question

I just bought my first Detective Special, a 1966 (I think) blued job, serial no. 9353XX with the letter J centered underneath the serial number on the arbor (or whatever it's called). By the way, does the "J" have any meaning? The frame has the number 2 and (lower) NS (or INS with a very weak "I") stamped on the left side under the stocks.

It has the sqare butt short frame but the previous owner had some large Pachmayr black rubber stocks that look to be the size and shape of a Smith K frame Magna grip. To take up the extra space at the bottom, below the frame, he's got a piece of foam in there.

For me this is not a collector's item, but a fun gun to shoot and load for. I may end up liking these honking large rubber stocks, but I think I'd like to see what my options are in wood or rubber stocks. I'm fond of the finger groove Pachmayrs that came on the 4th issue DS.

Can anyone tell me what the various standard stocks were for this eara of DS (2nd issue, I believe)?

Thanks all of you for sharing your vast knowledge so willingly here. I succumbed to the DS virus after I handled and shot a friend's 4th issue. I tried to trade my Browning HP Practivcal for his Colt DS, but he wouldn't bite. It's a good thing because I went down to our very large gun shop (3 hr drive from here) and they gave me $440 for the HP and this here '66 tapered barrel DS I just boght there was $235. So I'm a happy camper. I've cleaned 'er up, and will shoot some of my hand loads tomorrow -- I know not to shoot +p in this older DS.

Anyway, thanks much for the enthusiasm here. It has rubbed off.

Photos: DS3 is the gun with the stocks
DS1 is the gun with the stocks removed
DS2 is the gun with the left stock removed showing the foam filler and the right stock in place.

DS3:

DS1:

DS2:

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 01-16-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: circa \'66 Detective Special stocks question

The factory stocks,will have an extension on the bottom of either stock to give a "full grip frame" effect. they will be checkered with silver Colt medaliions. I've seen them on ebay and some of the "gun auction sites". Make sure you see an accurate photo of the stocks/get a full description from the seller. My guess on price is in the $30 range. My 1932 "Dick Special" is still tight and accurate after nearly 75 years. Good Luck. Bud

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Wolf, thanks for the info.

Will the current pachmayr grips fit this short frame sq. butt Colt? There are many available on ebay, and I may just pick up a pair if they fir my gun, as I already know they work for me.

Here's a photo:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts

The Pachmayr Compac were specifically designed for the Colt "stubby" grip like yours.

This is the same grip Colt sold as an option for years, and used on the late Detective Special.

You can still find these Pachmayr grips with Gold Colt medallions at Colt and at Gun Parts Corporation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks. I see several Pachys on eBay. I'll try a pair of those for a start.

Take a look at my photos above. A roll pin is used to secure my hammer pin to the hammer body, just like a Smith model 10 that I have. I didn't think this unusual until I saw photos of others' guns ¬ó none with roll pins like mine.

I'm not bothered by this, but I am curious.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Very interesting, thirties! Looks like a replacement by a gunsmith,as Colts all had the solid pin,polished flush with the hammer sides. Wonder if it got lost or "buggered up" when replacing the firing pin,and a roll pin put in?? Bud

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Bud, that's what I was thinking. I haven't shot the gun yet ¬ó we're in the middle of a snow storm here. I was thinking of sending it to Colt for a thorough testing and servicing, so I'll be starting out with an up-to-spec. gun. The double action seems to be very looong compared with my Smith model 10. Single action is beautiful on this Det. Specl.

Waiting for the storm to blow itself out . . .

photo of the hammer with roll pin:

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 01-17-2005).]

·
Registered
178 Posts

Many Detective Specials in the sixties had the roll pin secure the firing pin to the hammer. I have a 1966 DS which has the roll pin. I have a Cobra from a few years later that has the flush pin. I have seen many examples on Auction Arms, Guns America, etc. that have it either way. Apparently there was no single way that Colt did it. hope this helps. CC

·
Registered
88 Posts

there must have bin a grip frame change in the mid 60s my 1965 ds as the corners at the bottom of the grip frame rounded and you can see the frame at the bottom with the wood stocks on 8885xx.i see on that site that 1967 started at D926000 and 1968 started at D958500.yours would be a 1967 if it as a d in front.mine dont have a letter and is nickel??.

·
Registered
959 Posts

A S&W firing pin is held in place with a hollow rivet, not a roll pin. Roll pins are usually used for grip pins.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Muley, can you tell from the photo if it is a hollow rivet or a roll pin? Let us know what you think.

Here is a link to a Colt DS web page that shows two photos: one with a hammer like mine (1st issue with hollow pin), the other shows no hole in the hammer (3rd issue in the photo just below).

So, there are examples that look like mine. I'm just curious to lean more on the subject.

link: http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/colt_d_s.htm

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 01-20-2005).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The grip story has a happy ending. Here is a photo. The picture also shows the hollow rivet which I think is no big deal, as I've seen a few other photos showing the same thing. In any case, I'm not going to worry it to death.

Fact is this older DS was in the best condition of the three I saw at a gun shop. And it was the least expensive. I think some of the guns of the 3rd issue took quite a bit of +P ammo. At least the two I saw had. They were downright wobbly.

This one has an excellent trigger, and is solid as a bank vault. Seems to shoot accurately, but shot only two cylinders on a bitter windy day. Now it is even colder (-5°F). One of these weeks, I'll give her a real chance to perform in better weather. Meantime, I'll crank out some HBWC loads and some 125g plated FP as well.

Thanks for the help fellas.

photo 1966 Detective Special

1 - 12 of 12 Posts