Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any feedback for some custom work on my 1911 1990 Series 80 on Clark's Custom Guns in Louisiana? Any other smiths that do excellent work that you recommend or who get good ratings here?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There was a time nobody surpassed James Clark Sr for Colt 1911 Government smithing. (Or his winning of national shooting championships !)
His son James jr, from all reports carried on admirably in the old man's steps. The old man, now dead quite a few years, has recently been joined in passing by son James.

It probably would be advised to get some current updates on the companies work. While they once were considered very proficient on Smith & Wesson revolver work also; I read some comments, (not confirmed), they have withdrawn from the S & W work ???

·
Registered
327 Posts
When Jim Sr. ran the place, they were unsurpassed. Towards the end of Jim Jr., they started having issues. I'd want to see the work they are producing now, before I'd rely on a reputation from long ago.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't and don't get to examine every pistol or revolver that they modify, so I can only comment on the two pistols that i have seen.

It is my opinion, not empirical evidence.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I bought a Clark Custom barrel for my S&W Model 41, perhaps a year ago. It was a drop in part, no fitting needed. The Clark Custom barrel, along with an Aim Point Pro red dot device shrunk my groups quite substantially.

Based upon my experience with the Clark Custom barrel, I conclude that Clark Custom has some quite talented employees working for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts