Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
GREETINGS, Mr. Mclure!
Yes, Sir! This is a favorite topic of mine. There's been some interesting threads along these lines in the past. My favorite, of course, is John Wayne and the beautiful SAA's he uses in, "The Shootist." I also admire his guns in his two, "cop," movies; a Diamondback, a Browning HP and, I guess, a MAC 10!? Some of us still disagree whether Steve McQueen uses a D-back or Python in, "Bullit." Tell us about your favorites?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
One of my favorite movie "bloopers" is in the "Getaway".
Bad guy Al Literi?? is armed with a 6" blue Colt Python through the whole movie, then at the very end, in one sceen he suddenly has a 6" blue Trooper Mark III.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Since it's come up ... earlier, I wrote about the Elliot Ness's both using a 4" Official Police ... Robert Stack, in, I think a Lawrence shoulder holster for the TV version from the 60's. But the Kevin Kostner movie, actually, he's got a 1911 in several scenes. The OP is the one he takes off a bailiff from the courtroom, I think. (Picky, ain't I?)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a big fan of Clint Eastwood. The Outlaw Josey Wales is great with Clint using a pair(!) of Colt Walkers. Also in Magnum Force, David Soul uses a Colt Python as the bad cop. In Hang 'em High, Clint goes after the men that hung him with a Colt SAA. I also liked the Shootist with the Duke. I just picked up a DVD of the movie Bite the Bullet with Gene Hackman. I think Jan-Michael Vincent has a New Service in it but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rcwambold
I have scrutinized the video of Bullitt to try to ascertain just what gun Steve McQueen used. At the very end of the movie when he returns home and is washing his hands they show on two occasions his gun in its holster. All that I can garner for certain is that it is definitely a Colt, has the round butt stocks like found on the sixties era Cobras and DS (not usually associated with the Diamondback and the Python) however, it has the "target" type hammer (very obvious). The rest of the gun is obscured by the holster. I guess this leaves it still unresolved but may work toward ruling out the Python in this particular scene (unless of course the grip was modified to be like the round butt OP or Deputy or is indeed one of those). It is still a challenge to determine the exact weapon. CC

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear ColtCobra,
Sometime back, I found a web site about movie guns and quite a bit of info in McQueen. The writer there wasn't positive either, but he figured it was a Python because he had confirmed that was the issue SFPD detective - they call them Inspector's, gun at the time. I'll wait for final adjudcation from dfariswheel ... if he says it's a blunderbuss, I'll agree!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got done watching "Bullitt" for the first time. In one scene it shows his Colt in question for the top. It looks like a S&W mod 10 bull barrel on a Trooper(?) with adj. sights. I never saw a vent. rib on the barrel.

Does anyone have a diffinitive answer to what he's carrying?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
There was a photo spread and short article in a gun magazine some years ago about the McQueen movie.
The gun was a Colt Diamondback in a Berns-Martin upside-down shoulder holster.

·
Registered
192 Posts
colt movies

I know some of the guns were most likely clones but for just fun my favorite movies are Tombstone, what an array of "cowboy" guns. Quigley Down Under, the end scene with Alan Rickman and Selleck using Army 1860's. The old Spencer for Hire TV show, Hawk and his nickel 8 inch Python. And Steven Segal movies he uses a 1911 most of the time. I do not remember the name but there was a Frank Sinatra movie that also had Dan Blocker where the bad boy gun was a 1911 45.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
One of my favorite old movies was "Wanted Dead or Alive" with Steve McQueen. I believe it was a cut down 30-30.--MP
It was a Winchester 1892, Chambered in 44-40, Which fired 5 in 1 Blanks supplied by Stembridge's in Glendale California. McQueen carried 30-30 in the Cartridge belt to give the viewer the effect of a Larger caliber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe Dirty Harry's partner, Insp. Kate Moore, in The Enforcer, carried a Colt Diamondback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts