Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post pictures of an Official Police, one of my favorites (and rcwambold's too, I think). I am not sure of the vintage (8473XX) but I suspect the 60s. About 5 years ago I returned it to Colt for timing. Not only did they time it but they did a trigger job and it is now in the realm of the best Pythons.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey CC: Nice gun! It is also good to hear that Colt did a satisfactory job for you on the repair. I wonder if they are still working on Official Polices? I had heard that they are only providing service now for current production guns. Thanks for the post. I always like seeing pics of other member's favorite pieces. Charlie

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yessir, Dr. Cobra, Sir! THAT'S what a revolver should look like. Stock-issue, too! And I was glad to read about your experience w/Colt factory. Thanks for the terrific picture.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Come to think of it, Mr. Cobra, I guess I've NEVER seen a brand-new Colt Official Police!? It's funny, ... I GUESS they HAD to be new, once. Didn't they? Yours looks new - it's gorgeous. It's Kim Novak in blue steel! But have you ever seen a baby pigeon? There's GOTTA be some, somewhere!? On my first cop job, the three of us, "new recruits," sat in the Chief's office and he called up, "Junior," at the Texaco station, who also had a gun shop behind the motor oil and dirty books. All I heard was Chiefie, "Yeah, yeah we'll get a check to you just as soon as we can. Now, three new guys, ya' know? How much for 3 new Colt Officials? Pause. Damn! How much for whatever-it-is Smiths LIKE the Colt? OK. We'll take three. Pick 'em up Thursday, OK? OK. Clunk. And, that's the way it was, boys and girls ... We wound up with 4" S&W #10's with heavy barrels. (And they were quite acceptable. But I still traded mine to an older guy for his beat up OP with the rhumatoid front sight and scarred grips. Made me feel, "salty!")It looked just like the one in your picture, except Godzilla had digested mine and somebody must've left it out in the rain. But, it shot every time. I qualified with it - "Expert," thank you, and it did go a long way towards seeing to it I got home for supper sometimes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ah, the OP........

I sell about 50-100 a year and see lots more. Most of mine are from the NYPD and I have serial number records for about 10,000 or so of them.

All are 4 inch, although once in a great while, a 5 or 6 inch wanders in. I've gotten quite a few with round butts lately....I guess they all went to one class way back when.

For every Colt I get from NYPD, I get about 15 S&W's!

Still, I like those old Colts.

When I have a chance I have to shoot an image of some of the NYPD one's that I've kept.....

best,
RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com

·
Registered
535 Posts
Greetings, RM! I'd love to see some pix of your stuff! I've been looking at your site some, too ... I'll be talking with you after Christmas. These round bottomed OP's intrigue me? Tell us more, Uncle Remus, tell us more! And welcome! (My kingdom - such as it is - for an old style DS - nickeled, like brother Diamondback68's been torturing us with. Or, a 4" nickeled Diamondback in .38? ... but, I don't guess I should hold my breath, huh? Over? (Or as they used to say in N.Y. - "K." <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rm vivas:
Ah, the OP........

I sell about 50-100 a year and see lots more. Most of mine are from the NYPD and I have serial number records for about 10,000 or so of them.

All are 4 inch, although once in a great while, a 5 or 6 inch wanders in. I've gotten quite a few with round butts lately....I guess they all went to one class way back when.

For every Colt I get from NYPD, I get about 15 S&W's!

Still, I like those old Colts.

When I have a chance I have to shoot an image of some of the NYPD one's that I've kept.....

best,
RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rcwambold
In 1967 I saw a new OP that looked just like the one pictured,except, it was a .22. I thought about buying it and sure wish I had. I have only seen one other in all my years since. I suspect they're as scarce as hen's teeth. Can't see what the purpose was except to have a practice gun like the service weapon. There were so many better alternatives that were lighter and had adjustable sights to boot. However, it sure would have made a great curiosity. How many chances have we let go by that we wish we'd seized? I think I could fill a barn with mine. How about $50 Lugers? Cheers!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ColtCobra

I believe everyone missed your hint about the OP's vintage, it's a little older than you thought , made in 1956 (the good years).

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks diamondback68! I have not really bothered to date them as is frequently done on this forum because this is about the only one I did not buy new. It has the late style hammer and cylinder release so I just figured it was made during the last production years. It does have a fine finish for a standard model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got an Official Police with the 5 inch barrel dated to, I think, 1944. The SN is 713xxx. It's in equally nice shape as yours... no wear anywhere!

Mine belonged to an ex-Navy chaplain who left it in a drawer for many years untouched.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts