Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guess I am showing my age. I've used a 1911 for pretty much everything they can be used for. Over decades now I have grown to like less not more. But I like the basics, good trigger, no hammer bite and a decent set of sights. How that gets accomplished is another matter. But I have no need or a want for the "space guns" currently in vogue. Or junk in my gun :)

Basic "Space Gun"

A more classic "modern" 1911.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Space Guns...

My Buck Rogers ~ Series 25th Century ~ Plasma ~ Unlimited

My RIA Ultra FS ~ Series 70 ~ 10mm ~ 8+1

My RIA Ultra FS HC ~ Series 70 ~ 10mm ~ 16+1

Classic...

My Colt GCNM ~ Series 80 ~ .45ACP ~ 8+1

My Auto Ordnance ~ Series 80 ~ .45ACP ~ 7+1

My Para Ordnance ~ Series 70 ~ ,45ACP ~ 12+1

{ One of the 1st Double Stack .45's }

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
And gun owners wonder why their 'custom' modified 1911 never sells on consignment at the LGS. They have to many mods and many of them I wouldn't want on any gun of mine.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
There are a few clues to the performance enhancements on this Springfield, but not a lot.
Some stuff is on the inside, and none of it alters the 1911-ness of the pistol. It even has the factory sights. It does sport a Colt NM barrel & bushing. Most of the hot rod parts are Wilson Combat. Nothing I did to it actually improved the way it shoots; the shooter is responsible for not being able to put hits in the black. It does group quite well, though, if you don't mind being chronically low & to the left......

A flat mainspring housing may be all it needs to do what I want it to now. I'm not in a big hurry.....I'll get to it eventually.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I recently bought a stainless Colt 1911 Combat Commander XSE in .45 ACP like this one—

but it’s at Novak's getting low profile adjustable night sights, a carry bevel package, and its series 80 trigger fine-tuned to make it a bit more crisp. Don’t know that it’s “classic,” but I’d like to think it’s closer to that side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, I recently bought a stainless Colt 1911 Combat Commander XSE in .45 ACP like this one—

View attachment 704867
but it’s at Novak's getting low profile adjustable night sights, a carry bevel package, and its series 80 trigger fine-tuned to make it a bit more crisp. Don’t know that it’s “classic,” but I’d like to think it’s closer to that side of the spectrum.
Sweet gun! I love it!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,761 Posts
In most things I tend to be a purist and a minimalist.

Purist means I don't want the ice cream with my apple pie.
Minimalist means "Less is More".

My Colt Government Model.
Changes from box stock....
Pachmayr grips.
Ambidextrous safety because while I'm right handed I shoot pistol left handed.
Replaced the plastic main spring housing with a grooved stainless which I checkered.
Broke the sharper edges.
Converted the early plain black sights to three dot.
Beveled the magazine well.

Prior to this I often made major changes in sights, checkered frames, etc to my Colt Combat Commanders, but when I bought this Colt I decided to see if all that was necessary...... it wasn't.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Front: D&J Custom 1950 Colt Government Model. BarSto, Bomars, trigger job, hand cut checkering. Used for IPSC/USPSA.
Back: Essex frame- Harold Johnson build (retired Marine armorer, Cincy OH) accurized, BarSto, Bomars, trigger job, anti skid tape 😀. Used for PPC.
Can't imagine the number of rounds downrange between these two pistols.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front: D&J Custom 1950 Colt Government Model. BarSto, Bomars, trigger job, hand cut checkering. Used for IPSC/USPSA.
Back: Essex frame- Harold Johnson build (retired Marine armorer, Cincy OH) accurized, BarSto, Bomars, trigger job, anti skid tape 😀. Used for PPC.
Can't imagine the number of rounds downrange between these two pistols.

View attachment 704888
Easy to date a custom 1911 just by the beaver tail :) Nice guns!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm not sure if anything other than a standard military version classifies as a classic. Can we call this a modern classic configuration? A Caspian/Foster parts gun I put together a while back. Nothing flashy, just C&S innards, a Kart barrel, an MGW bushing, parkerizing I did myself, and Herrett's stocks bought back in 85. Another decade or so of wear and it'll be just about right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts