Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot "Josey Wales" (all pistols rather than rifle, pistol, shotgun) yesterday at the local cowboy action shooting match. All 44WCF. Black powder of course. I did the initial cleaning in the night. Hot tap water and bronze brush. Wiped them down and set them aside for a few hours. I'll inspect and run a jag down the bores with a coat of Thompson's Bore Butter. Wipe down the outside with patch. Done.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Machine Wood

The first two are Uberti Smoke Wagons that I used on rifle targets. The next is a Uberti Sheriff's models that I used on shotgun targets. Next is first generation Colt Frontier Six Shooter made in 1881. Last is a Uberti S&W American.

POV video of one of my better stages.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nicely done, clean? Our range is 90% in the shade also, makes it so much more fun. Do you have to have all 5 in holsters or are they staged on the table?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stage the two Smoke Wagons that I use for rifle. Also the Sheriff's model I used for shotgun. The other two are in holsters. I wear three holsters, right, left and a cross draw between. I carry the two Smoke Wagons to the stage muzzle up hands around cylinder and pinky finger in trigger loop. Carry the Sheriff's model in cross draw holster to the stage.

The Josey Wales style is not an official SASS category. So there are no rules. Some shoot 4 handguns and a shotgun. Some shoot smokeless and shoot with a two hand hold. I figure if it's not shot gunfighter (gun in left and right hand) and black powder, why bother?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't this be done with cap & ball pistols?
Some do. And I have enough cap guns to do it but loading 5 cap guns between stages and doing any posse chores would really difficult. Now if I had 5 extra cylinders for each gun!

Maybe next year I'll shoot one stage with cap guns then the rest with cartridge guns? Last year I shot all Colts. 2 45 Colt, 2 38WCF and one 44WCF.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some do. And I have enough cap guns to do it but loading 5 cap guns between stages and doing any posse chores would really difficult. Now if I had 5 extra cylinders for each gun!

Maybe next year I'll shoot one stage with cap guns then the rest with cartridge guns? Last year I shot all Colts. 2 45 Colt, 2 38WCF and one 44WCF.
Yeah, reloading would be a hassle. I have Kirst Konverters for most of my percussion revolvers, it's kind of cheating I guess, but gives it an air of greater authenticity.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A pair of Ruger Old Army fixed sights bright stainless with conversion cylinders followed me home last December. I've since found percussion cylinders for them. Also not exactly Josey Wales but if they were available back then, he would have had them.

Air gun Trigger Tool Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were conversion cylinders for percussion revolvers shortly after the Civil War.
I was referring more to the Ruger Old Army not being a reproduction of a real Civil War handgun and they didn't have stainless back then.

I made an elaborate POV video of my 2018 perfomance shooting Josey Wales. I few seconds into it you can clearly see Clint Eastwood's guns have conversion cylinders. They used two sets of guns - with and without conversion cylinders. Hard to load percussion gun blanks.

I shot Cattleman 45Colt as my rifle and Smoke Wagons 44WCF as my pistols. The falling plates gave me some problems. As did forgetting to cock the hammers on my CZ-USA hammer coachgun.

The movie is based on the book "Gone to Texas". But legend has it there was a real William "Bill" Wilson in southern Missouri that continued fighting after "War of Yankee Agression".

·
Registered
64 Posts
There was also a guy from South Carolina named Manse Jolly. He came home to the area I now live in and began shooting Yankee carpetbaggers who were taxing the property owners to the point that they lost their land. Jolly used a Henry to dispatch some of them and he was living in a cave in the foothills. He eventually moved to Texas and settled down. He fell off his horse and downed in a stream.
Leaf Nature Plant Cemetery Headstone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts