Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plenty of ammo now and intend to occasionally shoot it. Not a lot but occasionally - maybe 50 rounds a year.
I know how to take the 'wedge' out and remove the slide. Is that as far as I need to go - clean the bore, work around the spring and barrel, clean the slide, lubricate all and put it back together? Or should I be removing those pins and remove the barrel and recoil spring to do a more detailed clean? I'm not keen on knocking the pins out if I don't have to.
What do you guys say about it?
Here's a pic of what I have. Oh, and I removed the original hard rubber grips for safe keeping and installed aftermarket.
Kim
1902 military (2).jpg
1902 military (1).jpg

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 ACP which is basically a “short” 1902. I clean it thoroughly without removing the barrel links, barrel, etc., just the slide. I have removed the barrel but not every time time I shoot. My two cents. Jack

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I have plenty of ammo now and intend to occasionally shoot it. Not a lot but occasionally - maybe 50 rounds a year.
I know how to take the 'wedge' out and remove the slide. Is that as far as I need to go - clean the bore, work around the spring and barrel, clean the slide, lubricate all and put it back together? Or should I be removing those pins and remove the barrel and recoil spring to do a more detailed clean? I'm not keen on knocking the pins out if I don't have to.
Here's a pic of what I have. Oh, and I removed the original hard rubber grips for safe keeping and installed aftermarket.
Kim
View attachment 713934 View attachment 713935
Very nice.
The grips (1905 style) Look cool.
How about a pic with the original grips?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I'm not keen on knocking the pins out if I don't have to.
Kim
Kim,

Nice looking 1902 Military and I wouldn't touch the pins. Smart move on the stocks -- no reason to put the originals at risk.

Sam

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
No need to do a complete tear down after firing non-corrosive ammo. The old corrosive primed ammo tended to distribute itself throughout a pistol.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments and advice. I'm glad it isn't necessary to take those pins out as I was concerned about taking additional bluing off the pin heads or , gasp, slipping with the punch and putting a scratch on the surface!
I bought this from a friend who had set up at the OGCA (Ohio Gun Collectors Ass) and he gave me what I considered a very good price.
I've accumulated 900 rounds of factory 38acp over the last 2 years (pre Covid) so will enjoy putting a few rounds through it every so often. The bore is bright and shiny so it appears the previous owners took care to keep it that way.
Here are some earlier photos I took outside in the winter with the original grips attached.
Kim
DSCF0751.JPG
DSCF0753.JPG

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Kim, that's a very nice example. I have a similar condition 1903, but always wanted a 1902. I come across one eventually.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Thats a nice looking pistol with either set of grips!
Be sure and save the brass when you do shoot it. You never can tell when it might be used again.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yours is in such a nice shape that I wouldn't do more than field strip it. That being said, if you had an old beater that looks like it had seen better days, I wouldn't hesitate to take it down and thoroughly clean it as needed.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll take your advice and NOT do a barrel removal, just a really good field strip cleaning. After all I won't be shooting it a lot. I figure the ammo I have (900 rounds) is a minimum 20 year supply for me, for that pistol. I haven't even gotten around to shooting it this past year so add another year to that 20 years!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts