Colt Forum banner

Cleaning a SS revolver

704 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  capstan 
#1 ·
I know that this questions has been asked and I have read many responses. But, I would just like to clean my little model 60, and reduce some of the handlings marks(After 30years). I do not want to use a machine and buff or polish the gun. Just a simple application of "whatever", and a clean rag and some "elbow grease" while I am watching TV. Thanks in advance for the advice.Lou

#2 ·
Most any metal polish and a microfiber cloth will do.
You don't want to do too much or the metal will get too shiny.

You can remove small scratches and wear marks by using a very fine grade Scotchbrite pad.
Buy these at an automotive supply house.
Use a fine grade pad to gently rub light scratches until they at least are blended in, then finish by "stroking" the pad in the same direction the original grain finish runs.
The stroking movement will prevent leaving circular scratches where the pad reverses direction.

Once the light scratches are cleaned up, then use a metal polish lightly to blend everything together.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Lou;

I have, for many years now, used a product from the Renaissance Wax people called "Pre-Lim" it is a compound that removes all traces of dirt and crusted old wax. I've used it on knife blades and all sorts of gun finishes including stainless steel with never a single ill effect.

Pre-Lim is a surface cleaner that won't scratch the finish on your gun. It's what all the museums use just before applying the Renaissance Wax as the finishing coat.

I hope that helps Lou so good luck with it.

Bud

#5 ·
I have a satin/matte stainless Python that had a scope on it. The scope attachment wore some real smooth,real bright, marks on both side of the frame right below the forcing cone area. They weren't that bad but the very shiny marks did not match the satin stainless finish. I used a tiny piece of the veryfine scotchbrite pad and a drop of oil and rubbed the areas (with the "grain"- parallel to the barrel length). Those overly shiney marks became very close to the satin finish.
I have a model 60 also and I think I would try the same thing on it if a small area got too shiney. If you use flitz or mother's mag it can make the stainless too shiny for the orginal matte finish.

I had a model 66 that was used pretty hard so I decided to clean it with some flitz. Trouble is the first area I cleaned was too shiny ,so I just kept going and turned the whole gun into a bright,shiny finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.