Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
It must be impressive if you asked the same question 3 times in 20 minutes!

Anyway...Are you sure it is blood?
Is there a finish on the grips?
Could it be oil or a cleaning solvent stain?
If the stain is still red, it probably isn't blood but maybe a paint of some kind.

The answers will depend on the best way to clean them.

If it is oil or cleaning solvent, you can heat then slowly with a hair dryer and wipe off the oil that comes to the surface. A thick paste of baking soda and water allowed to dry will also draw the oil out but will take multiple applications.
You can also soak them in a closed container of acetone or lacquer thinner. This will remove paint and most any finish on the grips. Scrubbing with a soft toothbrush helps.

If it truly is blood, the only thing I can think of is to try a stain-removing laundry detergent such as OxyClean.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) will cause foaming if that is blood.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After thinking about the grips since my last post I going to treat the grips like the bio hazard they are.

If the snubby Lawman grips wasn’t so hard to find I wouldn’t have asked. I’ll look for different grips.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
After thinking about the grips since my last post I going to treat the grips like the bio hazard they are.

If the snubby Lawman grips wasn’t so hard to find I wouldn’t have asked. I’ll look for different grips.
If you’re interested I have a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips for the Lawman Mark III snubby.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You didn’t mention the left grip had a serious crack with a section missing. I’d forget about cleaning the grips. If you buy the same type to replace them keep in mind their condition might be better looking than the gun.

Are you planning on refinishing the gun?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn’t mention the left grip had a serious crack with a section missing. I’d forget about cleaning the grips. If you buy the same type to replace them keep in mind their condition might be better looking than the gun.

Are you planning on refinishing the gun?
Yes I’m gonna refinish it. I started a more detailed thread in the revolver section.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
You know, I wouldn't cold blue, I'd either get it done right, or more likely get appropriate intact grips, get it functioning perfectly, and have it be my "Bloody Gun". Sometimes stories are good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts