Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a colt 22 6" diamondback in electroless nickle coltguard, it is perfect except for powder burn where it has been fired a few times can this be cleaned off without harming finish you can't see it until you open cylinder thanks for help

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If it was mine I'd clean it with Hoppe's No. 9 and an old toothbrush. Hoppe's No. 9 is reputed to damage nickel finishes if the finish is allowed to soak in it but I never experienced any problems with Hoppes by cleaning my nickel guns normally and thoroughly drying them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
First, electroless Nickel isn't affected by bore solvents like bright nickel.
Bright nickel guns are first plated with copper as a "base coat" then bright nickeled over that.

It's the COPPER undercoat that can be attacked and cause damage to the finish.
Since Electroless Nickel is deposited directly to the steel, there's no copper to be attacked.

To clean your Electroless Nickel Diamondback, try the following methods:

Buy a Lead-Away cloth at the gun shop. This is a heavy waxy feeling cloth that's used to remove lead and carbon fouling from stainless steel and nickel guns.
This literally wipes the fouling right off.
DO NOT use on blued gun....It wipes bluing right off too.

Second, buy some engine carbon cleaner chemical at the automotive supply store. This removes carbon, "supposedly" (note the qualifier) without harming plated finishes.

Third, Use Hoppe's #9 bore solvent and a brass "toothbrush" to scrub the fouling away.

Fourth, VERY sparingly use a very mild abrasive like Flitz on a soft cloth. Be aware that ALL polishes are abrasive, so don't use more often that you have too, and don't rub hard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How do you know if Nichol is electroless Nickel or other? I have a Trooper III and a 1980ish Browning High Power. Been scared to shoot/clean either for a while. Used to clean with Hoppes but reading the online boards, I quit a long time ago. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Electrolytic nickel is generally bright/polished. Electroless nickel is generally a matte finish. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used the copper brush and bore solvent it worked very well. the electroless finish is more durable then i expected. it looks like a new cylinder. the electroless finish is a softer satin finish, not bright. thank everyone for the help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts