Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 3rd generation Detective Special to use as an everyday CCW ... will be carried in a holster often and shot several times a month to maintain skills. This is my first "blued" revolver so I wanted to know if there is anything special I should consider before cleaning. I realize there will inevitably be some wear and tear on the gun, but are there any recommended cleaners to help maintain the blue finish and minimize wear? Anything I should absolutely avoid? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
The least intrusive and wearing maintenance for the bluing is to just wipe it down with a patch lightly wetted with a good rust preventing lube like CLP Breakfree.

Other treatments like using abrasive polishes like Flitz will wear the finish. If used often or with any force at all, they will damage the finish quickly.

CLP or an equivalent will remove dirt and fouling, fill the pores of the metal with protective lube, and prevent rust.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've used all sorts of polish on my guns and can't say I've ever had it do damage. I have had almost everyone that seems my guns, "Ooh," and "Ahhh," a bit, though ... which I really enjoy. I clean my guns with regular ole' Hoppe's and patches and Hoppe's #9 oil and my favorites are simichrome polish for the metal and Murphy's oil soap for the wood. Even on some of mine over the years that have been quite worn, this stuff makes 'em look better, I think. On a Python, it's unbelievable. Worked real well on a Brand X 686 I had once upon a time but we won't talk about that here. In fact, that was the shiniest blue gun I've had. After I polised her up and cleaned and oiled it, ... well ... I DO like Pythons better, but that baby got close! Beautiful wood grips, too. Just a thought's-worth of simichrome on the medallions on my old 357 stocks and they shine like I was Midas!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have tried just about everything over many years and always go back to the old tried and true Hoppes #9 and 3 in 1 oil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SIGcurious:
I've heard good things about both Breakfree and Eezox ... maybe I'll give them a try.

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eezox is great stuff. I used to cover by Essex 45 with it when I put it away. The internals of the gun were crap but the finished faired well. If you can find it buy as many cans as you can, it is great stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts