Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an early Starr 1858 Double Action Army Revolver s/n 7932. Clint Eastwood's character William Munny in "Unforgiven" carried a Starr DA .44. I always thought the Starr was fugly but this example has given me a whole new respect for this classic western "Civil War" (it may be a commercial) revolver. Though the aesthetics aren't as pleasing as say the Colt 1860 Army, the Starr is a very sturdy and well made firearm. It's cool to see a 160+ year old military revolver that the screws haven't been buggered. #7932 is original and unmolested except for the one-piece stocks. As far as I can tell they should be smooth walnut and carry inspector cartouches. I think these may be early "custom" stocks but I'm surprised that only one side, the left side, is checkered. The number of Starr revolvers used by the north was only exceeded by the Colt's and Remington's.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Rick,

That is a very nice Starr DA revolver! Most I have seen were heavily used during the War and the finish is always about gone. I have seen a few with a good bit of the orginal finish and it is beautiful job done by Starr. I have a DA, SA, and a Starr Cavalry Carbine. All of them are excellent weapons. Here is picture of my DA.

pix042507367Y.jpg pix080155398Y.jpg pix465805049Y.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I think these may be early "custom" stocks but I'm surprised that only one side, the left side, is checkered.
Relative condition of that old revolver is nothing short of fantastic Rick. I wonder if the original owner was left handed? Thanks for sharing this!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
My Starr DA I bought in San Francisco 1943 for $24, probably unfired at the time --

Not generally known is its wacky DA design different from others.

It has two triggers, the large usual DA trigger & the small rear trigger for SA. It has a sliding stop on the DA trigger to convert it from its basic DA to fire in a semi-DA rather than typical SA. When SA is wanted, the TG slider is positioned so that DA only cocks the hammer & the trigger finger is moved back to pull the small trigger in the rear of the DA trigger, the relaxed DA trigger having moved forward.

Trying to thumb cock the hammer for SA does not operate the gun properly.

The Starr mostly used in the Civil War was the Single Action not this DA ----->

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Starr DA I bought in San Francisco 1943 for $24, probably unfired at the time --

Not generally known is its wacky DA design different from others.

It has two triggers, the large usual DA trigger & the small rear trigger for SA. It has a sliding stop on the DA trigger to convert it from its basic DA to fire in a semi-DA rather than typical SA. When SA is wanted, the TG slider is positioned so that DA only cocks the hammer & the trigger finger is moved back to pull the small trigger in the rear of the DA trigger, the relaxed DA trigger having moved forward.

Trying to thumb cock the hammer for SA does not operate the gun properly.

The Starr mostly used in the Civil War was the Single Action not this DA ----->
Thats a gorgeous Starr Robert. I was waiting for someone to explain the DA "set trigger", pretty cool but I can see why the Army wanted a single action. ,At $24.00 you almost paid full retail... in 1858!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Clint made some damn fine movies. He was also not a hypocrite like some of those other gun toting tough guys like Tom Cruise, Robert De Nerio, Matt Damon, Marc Wahlberg and Sylvester Stallone.
Thanks for sharing. That revolver looks incredible!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The best one was the Remington he carried in "Pale Rider".

Buck

Reactions: jrm

·
Registered
648 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread, I just assumed we would be discussing the 44 Auto Mag he used in Sudden Impact.

Reactions: wolfcoln

·
Registered
398 Posts
I always found the DA mechanism of the Starr interesting as well, considering it was a fairly early double-action entry. But what caught my attention was when I realized some years ago that an air pistol I had growing up has some similar features, specifically the action. I had (actually I've still got it) a Crosman '357' .177 caliber air pistol, with interchangeable 8" and 4" barrels. It has the small extra trigger in the back of the trigger guard which causes the hammer to fall, has a break pivot frame like the Starr, and is styled like a...Python. So there's your connection between a Starr and a Python. ;)

It's on the bottom in this picture, look carefully you can see the 'set' trigger just in view behind the primary trigger.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I had a Star D.A. in the early 70's, it had been converted many years before to a .44 centerfire cartridge.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
A dealer I did restorations for sent me a Starr DA, saying two other restorers had failed. It had been cobbled up inside, apparently trying to make it a normal DA. Mine, being pristine inside, I just reworked his parts like mine so it worked as intended. I returned it with explanation of how it is intended to work. I think it probably had nothing wrong with it in the first place & got cobbled up trying to make it work "right" ---->

·
Registered
616 Posts
I too liked the Remington conversion that Clint Eastwood used in “ Pale Rider” along with the extra cylinder cases he had attached to his gun belt !
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Very nice Marv, and a great addition to any collection.

Bud

Rick,

That is a very nice Starr DA revolver! Most I have seen were heavily used during the War and the finish is always about gone. I have seen a few with a good bit of the orginal finish and it is beautiful job done by Starr. I have a DA, SA, and a Starr Cavalry Carbine. All of them are excellent weapons. Here is picture of my DA.

View attachment 422738 View attachment 422746 View attachment 422754

1 - 20 of 21 Posts