Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - question on nickel colts that get some cloudiness on the finish...can that cloudiness be taken away or is that something that you cant get rid of on the existing finish?
My nickel snakes are all great, minus my viper. I noticed it clouding / getting cloudy (there may be a better scientific term), and took some flitz to it. I know flitz is made for stainless but a friend suggested to try it, I did and it took the cloudiness away / looked great. A few months later and its back.
Is there a way to get rid of it or is that "permanent" at this point?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That particular gun may have something in the nickle that is oxidizing. Try a good coat of wax. Be careful polishing it more than once every 10 years or so, and go light. Nickle is thin and you can polish it down to bare metal.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Cloudiness or a "milky" appearance occurs occasionally on firearms finished in nickel and bright blue. I have had fair success removing or minimizing these conditions with Wenol metal polish in the blue tube (similar to Flitz), but proceed very cautiously as not to remove the plating. As stated above, start slow with a small area and see how things progress.

Bill

·
Registered
816 Posts
After buffing lightly with some Flitz or Mother's Mag Polish apply several coats of Renaissance Wax, buffing each coat as it is applied. That should protect it for a few years, depending on how much the gun gets shot. If you use solvent to clean the gun after shooting that will remove the wax and it will need to be re-applied.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Cloudiness in nickel is usually caused by gun oil on the finish. The copper that was applied to the bare metal in order to electroplate the nickel to it acts as a magnet for the oil and pulls it through the finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts