Colt Forum banner

CLP Safe to Clean Nickel?

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rockquarry 
Is it okay to use Hoppes for the bore, or is it too risky in case some of the solvent rubs around the breech end on the way in?

I've never used CLP, but since you asked about Hoppes....

My believe is that the concern of mixing nickel with Hoppes is of no concern. I use it on my $5,000 nickel and engraved SAA and don't give it a worry. I don't even bother taking the ivories off when cleaning with Hoppes.

I also own a 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield Officer's Model which was missing its original cleaning rod. I purchased a handmade copy for $200 (and that was 20 years ago!) which had the correct nickel plated tips. I wanted to age them a little so they would not be so bright and new looking, so I soaked them in Hoppes for a day or two. Absolutely nothing happened to the nickel plating on the tips.

Now maybe on a poor plating job, or one that has flaking or peeling nickel, the Hoppes might cause some damage. But on nickel in good condition I don't loose any sleep.

John Gross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.