Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much was it? I was excited when they were first announced, but the prices vs condition of the guns changed my mind. Please post pics when you get it. Hopefully you get a good one! :)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$1050 for the better grade. The lesser was $950. I figured I’d grab the first class seat, what the heck. The phone call was worth half the price in my mind. I’ll have a S... Eating Grin for a month!
....and before anyone asks, we will shoot it.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, one of the 1911s, one of the first 8000 authorized for sale. It was a complex mail in application process with sequenced numbers issued. Then they started processing the paperwork. The window for applications was 30 days in late 2018. They cut off orders after that. They have not cleared the first 8000 guns yet! The original game plan as most understood it was to process 8000 per year. It obviously has taken longer to process the first batch. it is anyone’s guess about the next batch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My understanding is the CMP received about 9,000 1911 pistols from the Army for sale to CMP members. The legislation passed by the Congress did not require the Army to transfer any specific number and no more have been transferred since the first 9k. It is unclear if this is a result of the difficulties the CMP encountered with processing the first batch or some other reason... the CMP has not been forthcoming about explaining exactly what is going on.

I do know the CMP set up what is essentially a separate organization within the CMP to handle 1911s. To do that they had to hire and train people to run the 1911 program which is very different from the rifle program. For example the CMP will not ship a 1911 directly to members as they do with rifles. The CMP has taken a very narrow view of their charter to sell the 1911s. I have the distinct impression the CMP does not want to deal with pistols (will Beretta M9s be coming later?)

The 1911 program seems to be very political and I have to think the CMP has to exercise considerable caution in wading through all the issues they face. In my opinion they seem to believe selling pistols carries more risk than battle rifles... I don't think this is the case, but they may know something I don't know.

It is interesting to note the CMP initially gave the impression all the 1911s they would get would be largely worn out guns the Army had taken out of service with the arrival of the M9. To the surprise of many people they turned up having been arsenal refurbished at some point in time...

I was luck enough to get one made in 1942 an has never been issued...

It would sure be nice to know what the future plans are...

V/r

Chuck

Sorry, one of the 1911s, one of the first 8000 authorized for sale. It was a complex mail in application process with sequenced numbers issued. Then they started processing the paperwork. The window for applications was 30 days in late 2018. They cut off orders after that. They have not cleared the first 8000 guns yet! The original game plan as most understood it was to process 8000 per year. It obviously has taken longer to process the first batch. it is anyone’s guess about the next batch.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Oh, so this is the much touted 1911A1s they were selling by lottery? Was it really that long ago, 2018? Amazing. The CMP 1911s were the most active topic of most gun forums for about a year. When I read all the hoops you had to jump through to get one, I just decided to skip it. At some point someone that did all those steps will be willing to sell, and I can just hand him cash and have him hand me the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I was fortunate to get a call and offered one in Service grade as well last fall. Hoops not too bad but the CMP forum is highly charged. If you make ANY kind of complaint against CMP or the process and especially the condition of you pistol you are immediately flame sprayed by the zealots there and likely have your lost eradicated / erased by the admin. Very disappointed in the process overall. I got a bone dry rearsenoled colt that looked like it had bees sandblasted a lot. Hard to read the roll marks and serial. Luck of the draw. I also ordered a history letter for it. Glad I have a piece of history but disappointed in condition but oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I have had much better luck ordering M1 Garands from them though. If you don’t have at least 1 M1 I highly encourage you to get a piece of history with one. Truly some Of the most prized guns I own due to their historical significance. I own a Winchester, Springfield Armory, International Harvester and 2 Harrington and Richards.

Also have one 1903 Bolt Action Rick Island Arsenal rifle from the marine corps dates to 1917.

Just really fun to shoot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
If Kraaaken's gun is an example of what CMP is shipping out I'm glad I passed, It's a total crap shoot, I was thinking they would be in much better condition

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The 1911 pictured above is what an arsenal refinished pistol looks like and a decent deal at CMP prices. CMP has always been upfront about what they're offering.

With CMP Garands through mail order, it's the luck of the draw and, right now, I believe they are out of service grades. If you want to hand-pick one, you'll have to visit either the Ohio or Alabama store and plan in advance because appointments are required.

In the past 7 years, I've gotten a number of very nice service grades including the M1 Garand I was issued in 1966 while in the cadet corps at my DC high school. The CMP Serial Number Office was fantastic in making this happen for me! Always happy to tell the story!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Thanks for the offer Hoya but since CMP limits one of these per person per lifetime I suppose I’ll keep it for now. That even includes 1911 auctions on the CMP site which is frustrating. Seen a lot of nice ones go for prices would pay. Love your photo BTW. Thanks for your service. I’m wrapping up 34 years in the Navy this year myself. Been a good ride.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hooyah to you Kraaaken and thank you for your 34 years of service to our country! Sorry, I was kidding about buying your 1911. As you probably know, CMP is really dropping the hammer on those who sell their CMP 1911s unlike its policy on reselling Garands.

I really like your 1903, what a great example! From CMP? I didn't learn about CMP until 2013 although years ago, I was aware of the DCM. I also missed the great carbine sales pre-2013 but have picked up some on the CMP forums.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
About the comment, "The 1911 pictured above is what an arsenal refinished pistol looks like and a decent deal at CMP prices."

That one is not what an arsenal refinished 1911 looks like. It was probably arsenal refinished (or maybe not arsenal) several times. A standard WWII aresenal refinish job doesn't look anywhere near that rough. I have one, and I shot them and handled them a lot on my ship in the 1980s. By now, those were redone at least once again by people generations after the WWII-1950s arsenal skills. I seem to remember in the late 80s or 90s there was a "last round of refubish" going on.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Colt Model 1911A1 serial number 1621657 was shipped between June 28 and July 14, 1944 to Springfield Armory.

That one has been through more than one rebuild. Looks like there is a SA rebuild mark, and even the ANAD looks sandblasted.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Colt Model 1911A1 serial number 1621657 was shipped between June 28 and July 14, 1944 to Springfield Armory.

That one has been through more than one rebuild. Looks like there is a SA rebuild mark, and even the ANAD looks sandblasted.
Thank you and yes to all. Have yet to shoot it. Would need to lube it and/or apply ballistol liberally first. Probably would fire fine....or shatter like a frozen Snickers bar...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It's been through several rebuilds, note the "SA" and "ANAD 73" markings.

If you peruse the CMP 1911 forum, you will see other "ANAD"(Anniston Army Depot) marked pistols with a similar finish.

About the comment, "The 1911 pictured above is what an arsenal refinished pistol looks like and a decent deal at CMP prices."

That one is not what an arsenal refinished 1911 looks like. It was probably arsenal refinished (or maybe not arsenal) several times.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
The 1903 from 1917 was not a CMP or DCM gun, it was a gun I acquired locally here in Illinois. It’s a higher serial number which allows it to be fired as lower serial numbers had heat treatment issues. Very cool markings on it and rock island arsenal 1903‘s are hard to come by in this condition. It boggles my mind how guys fight with this compared to what we have today. They were truly the greatest generation for both wars

1 - 20 of 27 Posts