Colt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
It's been through several rebuilds, note the "SA" and "ANAD 73" markings.

If you peruse the CMP 1911 forum, you will see other "ANAD"(Anniston Army Depot) marked pistols with a similar finish.

Sorry, I was just going by the way the finish looks, when you said "it's what an arsenal refinish looks like." In my actual military service, they didn't look like that. I wasn't considering ones re Parkerized 2-3 or 4 times and left in storage...I never saw those in the Navy.

I don't mess with the CMP web site. When the original DCM closed and became the commercial CMP I have not been impressed. All the collectors and heavy breathers can pixel peep markings and minutia. I don't. I just know what 1911s looked like when I was in.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
'Back in the Day', I had a couple of M1912 racks full of those - all 'A.N.A.D.' rebuilds, and rebuilt within a couple of years of each other in the early '70's.

Got rebuilt .50M2HB Brownings and M3A1 Grease Guns, as well - all were that same, weird grey, overdone finish, with original markings bead-blasted to within an inch of their lives - but the important part was a visible serial number, and they all had that.

I had never seen a rebuilt Grease Gun before...

They all worked as they should - for a military application, that was kinda the key idea - we kept them until the M9s showed up.

In earlier units, I had a combination of original finish and rebuilds from the late '40's, and those were nicely-done, in comparison to these - even finishes, new grips and barrels (largely S&W chrome-lined), and all in all, good-looking - though that wasn't an important consideration.

Those were the common ones seen in most line outfits, and what the DCM originally sold.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I think the nicer 1911A1s, with just one trip to the arsenal after WWII, were what US Navy ships had up until the M9s. I was a gun nut even at 19, and paid close attention. I even had a personal gun kept aboard, the Navy let you do that then, most people didn't know that. I filled out the chit, and had a Ruger MKI .22 aboard.

Contrary to what some people think about shipboard weapons rusting more than ground pounder weapons, it's not true. The reason is Gunners Mates constantly maintain, oil, and inspect the weapons, kept secure in the small arms lockers. They are brought out only for yearly re-qualification, for roving shipboard patrols, for the Petty Officer of the Watch on the quarterdeck, and for Security Alerts drills, about once a week, for 20 minutes. The sailors keep them in the holster for all except security alerts. When we all where finished with security alert, after running all over the ship going "hutt, hutt...hutt" like in the Blues Brothers, we turned them into the GM, who wiped them down and hung them back up. There was even one old worn Colt with wooden grips that was very accurate. I would grab that one every re-qual. I think it was from WWI. This was in the mid 1980s. The thing is these were the Reagan years, with the 600 ship navy. In Pearl Harbor alone we had about 8 or 10 Frigates and Destroyers, and a few larger Cruisers, Oilers, etc. Bunch of subs too. Each one probably had 30 1911A1s, most were WWII era.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was fortunate to get a call and offered one in Service grade as well last fall. Hoops not too bad but the CMP forum is highly charged. If you make ANY kind of complaint against CMP or the process and especially the condition of you pistol you are immediately flame sprayed by the zealots there and likely have your lost eradicated / erased by the admin. Very disappointed in the process overall. I got a bone dry rearsenoled colt that looked like it had bees sandblasted a lot. Hard to read the roll marks and serial. Luck of the draw. I also ordered a history letter for it. Glad I have a piece of history but disappointed in condition but oh well.

Wow, sure don’t blame you for being disappointed. Sorry that’s what you ended up with but thanks for sharing your experience. Sure making me feel soooo much better about going with my first instinct to pass on them. Was VERY happy with the CMP M1 Garand I got though so sure appreciate that aspect of the CMP offerings.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
You guys would have been amazed at how the DCM worked, and the quality of their M-1s back then. If you were a former Military, you could use a short form and skip the background stuff. You were expedited, I got word back my Garand was ready after about 2 months. It cost $315 and is a WWII era with a few early pre-Korea parts.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
I concur.

As an Army shooter, I was treated quite well - buying my M1 and my un-fired 'actual' original packing boxed M1D, along with a Remington 513T, as well - and back then, you got one rifle - period - because the program was designed to encourage actual Marksmanship, rather than entrepreneurship on a gun show table.

My 1911A1NMs I bought directly from Ordnance - new.

Back then, 'everything' was GI-issue - not put-together Garands with Criterion barrels and Boyd wood.

My Garand went through the C&R Program in '47 - all Springfield Armory - the M1D was Winchester, with an SA barrel - assembled in '56 and boxed at that time.

I paid $165 for the Garand...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts