Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an Colt Cobra .22 caliber revolver today in NIB condition! Were these common in .22 caliber? Or, were these rare? I checked www.proofhouse.com and the serial number of C990XX was shown as being made in 1970. Is this Cobra .22(Without the ejector rod shroud)a reasonably good Colt revolver to collect? What type of Colt box should this Cobra .22 have been shipped in from Colt's? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The 22 Cobra is not extremely rare but NIB specimens are hard to come by, as the alloy frames are easily scarred. I've only seen a few that would actually live up to the NIB claim, and one of them resides in my safe. It's from the early 50's and in the hinged lid dark brown box, but a 1970 vintage would probably be in the two piece wood grain slip top box. I'm not certain of the time frames, but I don't think the one piece sleeve/box with the styrofoam liner came along until a couple of years later. Boxes are tough to pin down to an exact date, because they were used until old supplies were exhausted, and the best selling models would be used up first.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They are not rare or nor common. I'd place them in the scarce catagory. I'm determined to find one NIB. I've done extensive internet searching lately and I can't locate one (yet). There's a beauty on auction asking $649 with no box. I'd like to find a early one. Maybe OB will get board with his and..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The ultimate Cobra would be a 50's NIB 22LR in Nickel

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I agree with Addicted. I would catagorize the Cobra 22 with the unshrouded ejector rod as "scarce". Shrouded one would be "rare". But, what is rare? I could use a couple nice ones!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohiobuckeye:

The box with this Cobra, is a one piece Colt box with a brownish styrofoam inside. The box is marked with a label for an 2" Cobra in .38 special caliber(And, both of these are crossed out on the box with the .22 caliber(Etc.)written in! However, the serial number on the box does not appear to have been altered-and, it does match the serial number stamped on this Cobra! What do you make of this?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
A quick check of your serial number puts the date of birth at 1973, if I'm reading everything correctly, which would be getting into the era of styrofoam insert boxes. Even though the books say unshrouded Cobras stopped being produced in 1972, serial numbers are not always in a nice orderly sequence, for a number of reasons, so your gun could easily have been produced within the proper time frame.
The remarked label is anybodys guess. Various Colt labels can be purchased at gun shows, so that's one possibility, or it could have been done by the Colt factory. Colt and S&W have both been known to remark boxes/labels to get the guns out the door. The goal was to make money and there was little concern for keeping everything neat and orderly for us future collectors.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohiobuckeye:

The gun dealer(Whom I know well!)who has this gun on consignment from the original owner, said that the original owner told him that he had special ordered this .22 caliber Cobra and, according to him, this box(As marked)came from Colt's this way(Being remarked with the .22 cal.(Etc.))! I hope that this is true?

Regarding the serial number of C990XX for this Cobra? I noticed that www.proofhouse.com had put a range of serial numbers(In this same s/n sequence(But lower numbers!))first(For 1972)and then(Directly below)had put this higher S/N but for the year of 1970? And, I was thinking that maybe the year 1970 was typed incorrectly and the year should have been at least 1972? Or maybe, year 1973 as you have indicated ?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The box story is most likely true. Remarked boxes did come from the factory on occasion.
Serial numbers can easily get out of sequence for various reasons. The way s/n'd frames are stored and used...Low numbers on the bottom of the pile used last,frames stored in different bins, etc. Very high production models would probably maintain a closer s/n sequence than a very low production model. Factories were known to intentionally shuffle serial numbers to keep competitors confused about production quantity. Roy Jinks has lettered S&W guns that were several years out of sequence, but with the price of Colt letters, most of us use Wilson's general list for most of the more modern guns. I used the Wilson book to check your Cobra.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohiobuckeye:

I appreciate the excellent help that you have been giving me! Since I am certain of your Colt "Expertise" I think that I'm inclined to believe your given year(Date)of 1973, instead of the year 1970, as was shown at www.proofhouse.com! As you had said, in view of the box being of one-piece construction, with the inner styrofoam insert, 1973 would make this box to be correct for this year! I'm also happy that you informed me that Colt's did in fact, sometimes cross out the caliber(Etc.)on the original gun boxes and then to hand write in, the correct information for whatever gun was shipped in these boxes-in view of them wanting to use whatever boxes that might have been available, at the time these guns were shipped! I feel better already! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have a 2.5" 22 Diamondback box (w/gun) that is remarked. I am pretty sure it is factory original versus something done by the "local hardware" store selling the gun (as in getting them mixed up). Heck of a gun to have this situation as everyone will question the authenticity of the box.

With the box market what it is, I expect you will start seeing a notation for many Colts of "Add 10%" for original box" in the Blue Book. That seems to be generally the number until you get to Single Actions or pre-war guns.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
22-rimfire:

You made a very interesting point regarding the hand-written remarking of Colt boxes and specifically, about your Diamondback box remarkings-which I found to be extremely helpful! You have just boosted up my confidence in believing that the box for my Colt Cobra was done by the Colt's factory(Instead of by some unauthorized alteration!)!

Thanks to all of you nice forum members, I have now proceeded to arrange to purchase the .22 Cobra in question and, I'll have it in ten days and I'll post some pictures of it here on this forum, to get your opinions of this revolver? I probably wouldn't have purchased this Cobra if you fellas hadn't have come forward so promptly, with the information that I needed to enable me to clear up the issue of the remarked Cobra box! I'm grateful to all of you!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
With the box market what it is, I expect you will start seeing a notation for many Colts of "Add 10%" for original box" in the Blue Book. That seems to be generally the number until you get to Single Actions or pre-war guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the 'blue book' this way. 100% = Boxed Mint gun and 98% = same gun without the box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts