Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this colt cobra .38 special from my grandmother a few years back. it is the lightweight model engraved. it looks to be in like new shape. looking down the barrel I would say it has probably been shot a few times, but not much. I know it had been stored since my graqndfather passed away in the late 70's. I do not have the serial numbers with me right now, but a while back I looked it up and I think it dated back the early 50's. I have been doing some digging, but can't find any others with engraving like this. I would be curious if anyone has any info. not sure I would like to sell it since it was passed down to me, but would love to get a feel for what it is worth.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Steve, welcome to the Colt Forum.
Looking at the gun I can immediately tell you it had to be manufactured from 1950-mid 1952 judging from the length of the ejector rod and the style of ejector rod knob. In mid 1952 Colt lengthened the rod and changed the shape of the end of it.

Generally speaking, engraving does not enhance the value of a gun unless it was done by an acknowledged master engraver or done at the Colt factory. This example does not appear to be in that category to me, but I am not an expert about engraving. I am sure one of the members who has that expertise will come along and add their opinion. The grips (or stocks) are not original to the gun, which also detracts from the overall value to a Colt fan. You might want to carefully check all the engraved areas to see if the engraver signed or initialed the work somewhere on the surface.

I'm hopeful since this Cobra has been in the family a long time you are going to honor your grandparents by keeping it. But it's yours and if you decide you want to sell it, so be it.
What can I say? I'm the sentimental type! :D

Good luck. I certainly hope you decide to stay around and learn more about Colts and that you are not here just for this one post to have a free estimate. We do respond to these types of requests, but it is always a disappointment when somebody joins then cuts and runs :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will have to do some looking at it. I always have a hard time selling things that were hand me downs. I also have a S&W Victory Snubbie .38 special that was my grandfathers. It is has a lot of custom work on it and is semi retired at the moment since it is starting to show it age and use. Normally I am .45ACP guy and I still do not have a Colt 1911, so I don't plan to go anyway for a while, lol. Looks like this site is a great source of information.

Steve

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will have to do some looking at it. I always have a hard time selling things that were hand me downs. I also have a S&W Victory Snubbie .38 special that was my grandfathers. It is has a lot of custom work on it and is semi retired at the moment since it is starting to show it age and use. Normally I am .45ACP guy and I still do not have a Colt 1911, so I don't plan to go anyway for a while, lol. Looks like this site is a great source of information.

Steve
It is, Steve. But what really sets this forum apart is the kindness, respect, and consideration the membership generally shows for each other :) I am not saying that we don't have little tiffs once in a while, but usually nothing but good vibes.
You have a great excuse to keep hanging around - you see another 45acp in your future, and this time it'll be a Colt!
There is another great forum specifically for 45 1911 "style" pistols called the 1911 Forum. There's a ton of expertise there. There are a lot of members who belong to both forums, too.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.I like Malysh am a lover of the D Frame snubbies.I also like the engraving on your Cobra.It was your Grandpa's so you should keep it.When you bring it to the range and shoot it you will be pleasantly suprised at how nicely this alloy gun shoots.You will also find that the Cobra is a joy to carry also.Malysh also turned me on to the "working gun" look when he showed pics of his Cobra with the hammer shroud.It inspired me to get a 1960 Cobra to join my Blued 1968 Detective Special and My 1971 Nickle Detective Special.It was a Kansas Detective's Gun where it had lots of carry but little use.........Enjoy.....Mike:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did some looking but no obvious engraver name or initials. The serial number is under 5000 so from the info I found it sounds like it was most likely made some time in 1951. Hard to believe something that old still looks like new. I am looking forward to taking it to the range to try it out. Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.