Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just found this site and joined. I have a question for the more knowledgable then me. I just aquired a Colt Cobra 38 Special in very good condition. However, when I open it to load, the cylinder is very tight to swing out. Seems to me to require an excessive amount of pressure. My question is ... "Is this normal and if not, How can I correct this?"
Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Depending on what you mean by excessive, the crane may benefit from a little cleaning and lubing. I don't know what your other firearms experience is so I would first caution to use correct size screwdrivers for any operation, preferable hollow ground to avoid damage to the screws which is a common thing to see happen. The Cobra may require a little extra care because the frame and sideplate are aluminum alloy although the crane and cylinder and of course barrel are steel. The crane can be removed by removing what appears as a fairly large screw on the right side of the revolver although it is actually a threaded cap containing a spring and the crane detent. They are parts 7,8 and 9 on this exploded view. http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zCOBRA
Then open the crane and align the cylinder flutes to allow the crane to be moved forward without interference. Clean the crane shaft and frame cavity with something like Gunscrubber and lube lightly with something like CLP. Reassemble carefully in the reverse. If you are not comfortable with disassembly, just put some CLP where the crane meets the frame and see if it will work in and help. In any case, I disclaim any responsibility. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You could also wait and get some expert advice from dfariswheel. And welcome to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
It is not "normal." Sounds like old lubricant gumming things up. I have run into this on many an old revolver. The cleaning suggestion of A1A sounds right on to me. Let us know if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Things were just gummed up. After a good cleaning, it works smooth as a baby butt. I love this little gun. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts