Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going through a local shops inventory today and came across a cobra, which i've wanted for a while as a smaller carry gun. the finish was OK with some bluing wear on the barrel and frame and the frame was 2 the tone finish. it was wearing huge pachmayer target style grips.

the serial was lw239xxx i believe and i didnt have a chance to remove the grips but i was wondering if anyone had an idea of which grip frame is underneath those grips? i know there is a longer and a shorter generation.

it was priced at $399 but knowing the owner i'm sure i could haggle a bit to maybe $350 otd. hows the price sound in todays market? thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also add lock up was very tight and the trigger was amazing but I'm wondering if this could actually be easily concealed under just a tshirt IWB or in a pocket holster. The first thing I'd do if I purchase is a get holsters and service stocks.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
The 5 digit serial number beginning with 23,000 makes this a 1953 Cobra, and it should indeed have the dual tone finish. It will be a long grip frame model, not the short universal grip frame introduced over the entire revolver line beginning in 1966.

The bad news is that the correct grips are Coltwood plastic stocks, used in the revolver lines from 1947-1954. They are pricey and hard to find. They are also fairly delicate and personally, I take them off and use a set of Colt standard checkered walnut round butt stocks when I shoot the guns. I see so many Cobras and Detective Specials from this era with replacement Colt wood stocks, aftermarket wood stocks, and rubber replacement grips, I have reached the conclusion that at the time Colt was using Coltwoods, the first thing a new buyer did when he got the gun home was take off the plastic and put on real wood grips. I think many sets were just thrown away. I also think it was a big marketing mistake, as fierce as the civilian market competition with S&W was in the post war era. S&W stuck with wood. I think they were smarter and that sticking with wood grips only enhanced their products market share over Colt even more.
Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for the plastic Coltwood grips and the Colt revolvers from the late 40s-early 50s.

Expect to pay an additional $100 or so to find a set of solid condition Coltwoods (with no chips or cracks) to make the entire revolver period-correct. You may luck in to a set from somebody who doesn't know the value of them for say, $20-$30 but you can't depend on that. Vintage Grips and another company make plastic copies and were even authorized by Colt, but they are ill-fitting dreck, the plastic coloring isn't right, and the screws and eschutcheons aren't correct either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Thanks. Will the longer grips frames fit for pocket carry?
If you check around for pants or cargo shorts (not jeans, although there are a few companies that advertise jeans with oversize pockets for carry). Jean material varies in weight/thickness, but jeans in general are quite thick fabric compared to traditional pants or dockers, for that matter. It's my experience that the thicker jean material makes front pocket withdrawal harder and the gun prints easier under jeans, no matter which brand of pocket holsters you favor.

I think the short grip frame Agent is better suited for pocket carry than a long grip frame Detective Special or Cobra. That, or any post 1966 short grip frame Colt with the minimalist short checkered combat stocks. No chunky wood replacement stocks or the oversize wood stocks Colt started to use.
The Colt Agent, or the S&W round butt J frames are ideal for pocket carry. The older long grip frame Colts, do-able but generally too long for the pockets.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Pocket carry with one of these.

But don't pass up that Cobra just because of the long round butt.

Heck, someone here would probably trade you for a post '65 Cobra or an Agent.

P.S. We need some pics of that gun :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Stinger, Thanks for the memory. I too, have seen a number of small revolvers,Colts & S&W s with the "field expedient" rubber bands on the stocks. The memory you stirred was a drug raid in Germany[with the German"K-5" Kriminal Polizei, Drug guys].I wrapped the grip on my Army issue Colt Commando 2" and stuck it in my waist band when I passed my shotgun to the Chief of K-5 [German Police are not allowed shotguns so they invite our Army Investigators and trade their sub guns to us for our shotguns! Anyway, I digress, When I snatched the Colt out of my waistband about half the hair on my belly came with it! OUCH! Moral to the story, even in the summer,with bulletproof vest always wear a tee shirt or use a holster!We laughed many times recounting that adventure.Nick

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I added a barami hip grips to the pistol and it's a world of difference between the full sized pach's so I have a pachmayr grip adapter coming for numrich and plan to eventually buy another hammer to bob. This gun is awesome to carry compared to my glock 27.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.