Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in the 60's did Colt change the inside of the firm wood grain boxes? Reason I ask is that I just bought a 1961 Cobra pictures below but I am also looking for a box for the 1970 Cobra I bought last week.

There have been two auctions on Ebay for Cobra boxes this week, links listed below, one has the black inside with thin cardboard base, the other has the thicker card with red Colt's insert.

Colt Cobra Revolver Wood-Grained Cardboard Box with Colt Label, Original & Nice | eBay

Colt Cobra Revolver 38 Special Police Gun Box w/ Receipt & Gun Bag & Paperwork | eBay

Any ideas on when the change occured?

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
The change between these two box styles occurred sometime in the late 1960's. I doubt that it could be pinned down more than that because I'm sure Colt was using up stocks of the old style boxes at the same time the new boxes were being brought in and used. Probably 1968-69. I know that Colt used the earlier box style up into late 1969-early 1970 for the Frontier Scouts. But Pythons were being shipped in the later style box earlier than that.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'd say most likely the box with the red insert. My 68 Python has the red inside style box.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Interesting to see how even the post war boxes are starting to fetch high prices. A Woodsman box went for about $160 the oher day.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
RacingSnake, I have a 1967 DS serial numbered to the box and it also has the red insert.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RS, tell me how much you want to pay, send me that amount, plus estimated shipping to South Africa, and I will bid on the box for you. If "we" win, I will ship it to you. If not, I will return your funds by return mail.
That's a wonderful gesture Judge. Do you take Paypal? PM also sent.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
RS, I will just take a chance that you will pay if "we" win. If we do not, there will be no refund hassle.

I have responded to your private message. Yes, I can accept PayPal. I await your more specific instructions by private message.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
"We" won! The final price was $92.01, plus $3.95 shipping, for a total of $95.96 USD. I think that is a good price for such a nice box with the contents found in this box. I will contact you by private message.

·
Registered
382 Posts
have 1967 Python 68xxx that came from original owner with original box, it is red inside. believe this to be close to transition.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
"We" won! The final price was $92.01, plus $3.95 shipping, for a total of $95.96 USD. I think that is a good price for such a nice box with the contents found in this box. I will contact you by private message.
Good for you Sir, thats whats great about this forum, members willing to help other members !! A tip of my hat to you!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just looked at the Cobra box on e-bay with the black ink serial no. on the bottom of the box. I have a couple like that and just assumed them bogus, as the majority seem to have the number on the bottom of the box in that white grease pencil style. Are you saying some were actually marked in black bold ink instead?

Thanks, broknaxi! Be interesting to see what other input we get. My black ink marks look more like a magic marker, or laundry marker, but who knows? I have one box that the label actually has a black X across it, and caliber marked in for 32 NP after the 3rd issue came out and they were still getting rid of 2nd issue parts. I assume they had run out of boxes and labels for the .32, or the whole thing is bogus. Drives you crazy, doesn't it?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I believe there were several different colors. Now if there were different time frames for the different colors I don't know. But I believe I've seen the white, a silverish color, black and I believe a couple in red. Someone with more knowledge can confirm or condem this statement I'm sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts