Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given a Colt Cobra in about 85% condition. Shot little but carried a lot. SN# 336xx, it is also marked with LW near the sn. Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated. ie: date of mfg, availability of replacement grips, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like you have an early Cobra, probably from 1955. The grips for the Detective Specials from the same era should fit this gun. I see these posted on for sale boards and places like ebay from time to time.

Congrats on the Cobra!

·
Registered
909 Posts
The "LW" stands for lightweight which was used as part of the serial on Colt's earlier alloy framed guns.

A nice carry piece, and lethal (Jack Ruby used a Cobra to dispatch Lee Harvey Oswald).

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's your call. I'm not sure how well anything other than anodizing would bond to the aluminum alloy. If it was me, I'd just make sure that the mechanics were solid and use it as is. You'll probably never wear it out.

Value is probably more as a shooter than a collectable (at 85%), but it is an early one, fifth year of mfg. If it was given to you by someone who carried it on duty and they could give you a letter to that effect, it would make your Cobra more "Interesting". Good luck.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree with Bw, why bother getting it re-finished, just shoot it and enjoy.
I personally could never understand why people re-finish anyway. Gun may now look good (depending on who did the work), but is now just a good looking shooter grade with below resale value and certainly way less than collector value. If you think 85% guns have no collector value, just look at the price of a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd generation Colt SAA. JMHO

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and quick replies.

I'm thinking about getting it refinished. Any recomendations, I'm looking at a matte hard chrome finish. Or, should I leave it as is. Any collector value for this model?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts