Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall quite a few years back on another forum that a member there had posted about an experimental prototype cobra chambered in .357 Magnum.The poster did state that the gun was equipped with a special cylinder is this true does such a gun exist? If so I think it's pretty awesome can any colt historians weigh in on this?

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
I seriously doubted because that would be more like a hand grenade than a handgun :)...

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I seriously doubted because that would be more like a hand grenade than a handgun :)...
Why? Smith & Wesson .357 J-frames do not blow up.

Over the years, Colt has considered many different models. One of them could have been a small alloy-frame .357 Magnum chambering.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I was done in stainless and called a magnum carry. Maybe at the time they were experimenting with a full metal construction and a cobra barrel. Who knows what they were thinking then.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Why? Smith & Wesson .357 J-frames do not blow up.

Over the years, Colt has considered many different models. One of them could have been a small alloy-frame .357 Magnum chambering.

I meant my first post pretty much as a joke, and anything is possible, but I've never seen a S&W J Frame with an alloy frame in 357 magnum. The AirLite alloy Smiths are mostly in the "4" and "6" series and no 357 Alloy Frames. They have made Steel and Scandium (Sc frame and Titanium cylinder) frame 357 J frames but not an alloy like the Cobra. I have been into Smiths along time (much longer than Colts but not as long as you I'm sure), and if there is a true alloy J frame 357 magnum please specify the model number to me. If there is one I would like to know, there's a chance I missed something because I don't keep up with all the post-lock stuff but do look at some of them once in awhile just to see what they are doing.:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I meant my first post pretty much as a joke, and anything is possible, but I've never seen a S&W J Frame with an alloy frame in 357 magnum. The AirLite alloy Smiths are mostly in the "4" and "6" series and no 357 Alloy Frames. They have made Steel and Scandium (Sc frame and Titanium cylinder) frame 357 J frames but not an alloy like the Cobra. I have been into Smiths along time (much longer than Colts but not as long as you I'm sure), and if there is a true alloy J frame 357 magnum please specify the model number to me. If there is one I would like to know, there's a chance I missed something because I don't keep up with all the post-lock stuff but do look at some of them once in awhile just to see what they are doing.:)
The S&W Airlite J-frame series (e.g. 340PD & 340sc) use the Aluminum/Scandium alloy for the frame, cylinder yoke and barrel shroud (not Steel/Scandium). The cylinder is titanium, and the barrel liner is stainless. And they are, indeed, chambered in .357 mag.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Take a survey and see who actually shoots them with 357. If you cannot stop a close up encounter with a plus p 158 lhp, I guess trying to incinerate the threat might work.. MY friend once shot a scandium J frame with plus p plus rounds. He carries a model 60 with the aforementioned 158 load. After one shot he handed it back to its owner. the only viable alloy revolvers are the Colt D frames , to me they shoot as good or better than a S&W steel J frame. I had a Smith 37 ,and sold it ,just not pleasant to shoot. If you don't like shooting a revolver , you will not practice with it. Don't practice and you can't rely on it or you.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
The S&W Airlite J-frame series (e.g. 340PD & 340sc) use the Aluminum/Scandium alloy for the frame, cylinder yoke and barrel shroud (not Steel/Scandium). The cylinder is titanium, and the barrel liner is stainless. And they are, indeed, chambered in .357 mag.
Yes that's what I meant, I know all about the 340's (hammerless) and the 360's (with hammer) but apparently I wasn't clear enough. I meant they made Steel J frame 357s and then they made Scandium J frame 357's, which did have alloy in them, but I haven't seen an alloy J frame 357 magnum. Even on the 340's and 360's with the Scandium Frames and Titanium Cylinders, most are marked Do not use less than a 120 grain bullet. Thanks for pointing that out so I could clear up my previous statement:).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts