Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there different issues of Cobras like there are with DSs? If so, could someone tell me what years changes were made and what the changes were? I'm specifically interested in shrouded ejector versions which I assume are later like the DSs.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Sure, I'll stick my neck out. There is a "so called" second issue with the main difference being the shrouded ejector. It started in 1973 until 81. In the "so called" first issue Cobras (1950 - 72) there were also differences, giving rise to the "issue" questions, such as long square butt, changing to long round butt and at some point ('66 for the DS) changing to the short square butt. There were a variety of stocks also, more or less in conjunction with the grip frame changes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Oh, and the "first" issue was also manufactured in more calibers.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
See "First Post and a Question" by Powerkicker, where I had a rant about the "Issue" issue!

A1A is correct in that the Cobra changes generally follow those of the Detective Special, but, since the Cobra was not introduced until 1950, the changes prior to that time do not apply. The only difference with the DS would be that the long-barrel Cobras had square butts, whereas there were no long-barrel Detective Speicals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts