Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between the two? Other than the barrel marking and grips? Thank You!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AIA - Thanks for the reply. It answers my question - I have the Cobra - but, that little difference - I still want an Agent

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now does that later agent with the parkerized type finish have the longer grip frame like the Detective Special and not like the earlier Agent? I presume it has an alloy frame also?

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, I have to say something 'bout these two items. i have one of each. the agent has a shorter grip frame. 'nuff said. i like the agent BEST. just ME :cool:.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Now does that later agent with the parkerized type finish have the longer grip frame like the Detective Special and not like the earlier Agent? I presume it has an alloy frame also?
As of 1966 all Colt D frames have a standardized "short square butt". :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excuse me, but that picture posted above of the Agent does NOT look like a "short square butt"?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are we looking at the same photo? Sorry, I still can't see it. I can see the bottom of the Parkerized FRAME on the Agent in the above photo and it does not look like a short square 1966 butt to me? Anybody have a photo of the lesser finished Agent with the Grips off?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Are we looking at the same photo? Sorry, I still can't see it. I can see the bottom of the Parkerized FRAME on the Agent in the above photo and it does not look like a short square 1966 butt to me? Anybody have a photo of the lesser finished Agent with the Grips off?
I believe it's just the lighting. Blow up the picture and you'll be able to tell better.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Excuse me, but that picture posted above of the Agent does NOT look like a "short square butt"?
The bottom spacer in these smooth stocks used on the mid 80s Agents is a separate piece of wood. In the picture that is a bit deceiving and looks like it could actually be the bottom of a long butt, but it is not. The matte Agents were made in the 80s and that is obviously long past the change to the short square butt. I guarantee it. :)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
after 1966 all d frames had the same grip frame. Grips differed ,but not the frames. For all intents and purposes ,the post66 Cobra and Agent were the same. The Agents ,pre parkerized version, came with the short service grips,blue only ,and optional hammer shroud. Cobras came in blue or nickel.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks to all - for a brief moment I thought I found Big Foot! or a previously unkown or undiscovered variation of the Colt line of Dectective Specials that I would want (need?). I'm looking to find a later pre parkerized Agent for my collection. After checking the spec's in the 1974 Catalog, it looks like only difference between the 1970's Cobra and the Agent is 1/2 oz -probably due to the larger grips of the Cobra. Jackson

1 - 16 of 16 Posts