Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new carry gun. Saw a very nice Cobra at a pawn shop today. Looked to have seen little use. No worn finish anywhere, and the lockwork was all nice and tight. No box or papers. Almost too nice for a carry gun, but, then again they were built to be used. Priced at $359 firm. Comments?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have 2 carry guns; a nickel Cobra is one of them. If you can live without using high pressure (+P) ammo, it's a great gun for carry. The price is not out of line, eother. You could do much worse.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I completely agree. The Cobra is a great carry gun. That price is about what one would cost around here too.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Your description sounds similar to one I saw a nice Cobra a couple of weeks ago in a Fort Worth gun shop only they had a price tag of $499 on it. Might be worth buying. So what if they labeled the price as "firm". They still might negotiate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Assuming it's lock is in time etc, that sounds like a great deal to me. I paid $300 for a well worn version earlier this year. I just had to have it at the time. The Cobra is my first choice as a CCW.

dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the use of +P ammo completely out of the question in a Cobra, or just not good for a steady diet?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
If it's a post-1972, heavy, shrouded barrel model, it was factory rated for "up to" 1500 rounds of +P, and then needed to be sent in to Colt for possible frame replacement.

Pre-1972 "skinny" barrel guns were not rated for use with +P ammo, but many people did practice with standard .38 Special ammo, and load up with +P for "business", figuring that if they needed the gun, loosening it up would be the least of their worries.

That's still good practice even with +P rated later models, since +P will cause accelerated wear of the gun.

So, if you have a later +P rated Cobra, it's OK to shoot +P ammo, but not too much so as to make the gun last.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it appears to be the later design so a few hot loads shouldn't be a problem. Just have to decide if that gun is really what I want and need. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Believe it or not I just got back from my local Gunshop where I picked up a really nice pre 72 Cobra to carry. The price was $390 OTD its in around 95% condition. I have been carring A DS but the Cobra just felt right! and you can never have to many D frames

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would have to second weagle99's comment. I love Colt DAs.
Having spent the last couple of years tracking down a part for the Det. Spcl. I would give serious consideration to comitting to a Colt for anything but limited shooting. The parts situation is not getting better for them and time is working against us. It is even getting hard to find a competent gunsmith to repair them. IMO they are now becoming more and more a collectible and less a practical solution for defense. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Cobra and Detective Special....
To be truthful, I have shot many Cobras and none of them were remarkably accurate. I didn't have too much confidence that they would at further distances (15yds), but assumed they would at 10yds. I love the guns, but in today's world of high-tech, there are better choices that will indure +P , are lighter in weight, and much more accurate.
Curse me for mentioning S&W, but a scandium revolver from them is the way to go-----strictly for carry...Remember, the light weight will result in recoil that is PUNISHING to the hand. My scandium .357 has far more felt recoil (to the hand) than the .500 Magnum. BUT, these guns are made to carry--not shoot. Practice with light loads and load up for defense. True for the Cobra. Who cares if the gun eventually fails with hot loads...if you need them, hot loads should be in the defense gun, not on the shelf at home....
The scandium revolvers from S&W are superb,,,and will not fall apart with hot loads. I am particularly fond of the 2" .45ACP which weighs 1oz more than the Cobra.
Terry

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I still see the Detective Special and Cobra/Agent as practical CCW guns. I'm willing to tote them here at the end of 2006. All my revolvers old and new have stood up to use, some of it very heavy. Proper cleaning and lubrication will help avoid most DA revolver problems in my view.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have several cobras and my experiance has been just the opposite of tjpopkins. All of mine are wonderfully accurate. I can hit 6 inch plates all day long at 25 yards. Wonderful little guns. Mine range from "had a rough life" to "nearly new".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts