Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cobra\'s TERRIBLE trigger

I'm about to re-finished my buffed out Colt Cobra with Aluma Hyde II. But I took her to test shoot last Saturday and she has a terrible trigger. My previous D-frames all had heavy but smooth triggers. This is No Where near smooth.

When I de-grease her prior to re-finishing I will clean inside to remove any gunk. BUT, never popped a Colt sideplate so would like advise on:
What to look for and what NOT TO TINKER WITH !

Strong on enthusiasm but limited on gunsmithing skills,..., skills? Call me a Gun Plumber!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re: Cobra\'s TERRIBLE trigger

Just my opinion, but if you haven't dug into the innards of a Colt before, you should probably have a 'smith do it. Most will do a trigger job for 50 or 60 bucks, and it's better than you having to take a pile of parts in after you've figured out that you don't know what to do.

There's really not much that can be done with a D-frame gun, but a competent 'smith can smooth out the action for you. If you can find a guy that's been around for 40 or 50 years, he might be able to do something else, but I wouldn't trust most guys to fiddle with it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

I agree with Tom. The inter-related parts of the colt action take some learning to understand. There is no such thing as a "Simple parts replacement". Everything must be fitted. Removing the side plate is simple enough but I'd take it to a smith who specifically works on colts if you can find one.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts

Colt trigger mechanisms are very complicated, but you can do it yourself.

I strongly recommend buying a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Volume One".

This is a true gunsmith's manual and shows every thing known about the older Colt action revolvers.
Price is about $30.00 at Brownell's and Midway, and is the best money a Colt owner can spend.

Just being able to tell if your Colt is in proper time and adjustment is worth the price.

With the manual, you will be able to easily disassemble your Colt and lube it correctly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You guys aren't much for builing a Gun Plumber's confidence are you!?? LOL!

I popped the side plate and saw all that stuff inside and put it right back. Before I put it back on I sprayed the innards with a degreaser. Crud can pouring out. Had a ball of hair between the springs.

S&W's are a lot simpler that's for certain. Anyway I'll finish by Gun Plumber bake-on finish today and then we'll see about a trigger job.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Actually, I think Dr. D was unusually supportive of a do it yourself approach. Colt mechanisms are not too difficult to disassemble and reassemble. Some instructions and information on what to look for and how to check things is very helpful and the Kuhnhausen book is the best guide available. The difficulty comes in replacing and fitting new parts and performing procedures like "trigger jobs" which can be disasterous when attempted by someone without the tools, knowledge and experience. This includes many if not most contemporary gunsmiths. The book gives good guidance on those procedures, but I think you would be quick to realize they are not in the do it yourself realm for many people. You did not paint a glowing picture of your mechanical abilities, thus prudence would dictate recommending caution. By all means, buy the book and judge for yourself based on your own confidence. Even if you intend to have any work done by a smith, the book will give you some ability to decide if you want a given smith to have at it based on what he is telling you vs the book information. Flushing and lubing with the sideplate off is certainly a good step and may give you adequate improvement. Some people are not even willing to remove the sideplate (you noticed nothing popped out or , at least, shouldn't have /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), which after the fact, I caution should be done with a correct size hollow ground screwdriver. The most common result of improper do it yourself is buggered screw slots and "reamed" screw holes. Nuff said. I hope your coating turns out well and your trigger is improved. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

A recent issue of 'American Handgunner' (can't remember which month) had an article on cleaning and lubrication of a Smith DA action to help trigger pull. It also discussed smoothing various surfaces. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Dfariswheel is right about the Khunhausen book. I WOULDN'T be without it. I did not mean to discourage you from working on your gun. I was just advising caution, and care. A thorough cleaning and light lube may be just what you needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Oh I was just joking! Like Dirty Harry said, "a Man's got to know his limitations".

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifYou guys are a great source of info for me. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself then only your buddies get to enjoy your dumb stunts! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I popped the sideplate and nothing disappeared into the distance so I was happy. I CAREFULLY removed the cylinder release lever saw how much difference it was from my S&W's and promptly replaced everything. It's a gunsmith's not a gun plumber's job.

Since the old Girl was missing ALL her bluing I re-did her exterior with Brownell's Matte Black bake on finish. She came out looking like a polished Colt Commando. If she hadn't been in such rough shape to start I would have re-blued her but now she's looking PURTY Spiffy for an Old Girl!

The thickness of the finish is surprising. I'm going to have to remove some of it to re-mount the cylinder and to get the cylinder ejector rod to work freely. That'll mean I'll probably cold blue those two points.

Overall it's been a satisfactory job even for a Gun Plumber like me!

THANKS GUYS!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts