Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Mine is slightly different. With the exception of a few, everything shown was found by my parents and myself when I was about 10 to 15 years old. At that time there were still small farms owned by local people, and in the spring after the fields were plowed we would wait on a good rain and walk the fields row by row. Everything is authentic except the arrow shown in the top of the case and the obsidian knife below it, and a few odds and ends like the fossils, A Civil War "bullet in wood", and a tiny Almanac for 1886.

The oldest piece is between 8 and 10 thousand years old.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
coltguy'
What a wonderful way to display your treasure's, just put them on display in your living room or man cave for your friend's to see, I can't think of a better way to do it. I like to display my very small collection in my little computer room also, I enjoy picking them up and handling them, and also letting my friend's do the same, it's all about the history of it for me. I never get tired of looking at it.

JohnnyP,
Another great display and a great part of history, get it out of the safe and put it on display like this, you can tell that it took some time to put together, beautiful just beautiful.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is slightly different. With the exception of a few, everything shown was found by my parents and myself when I was about 10 to 15 years old. At that time there were still small farms owned by local people, and in the spring after the fields were plowed we would wait on a good rain and walk the fields row by row. Everything is authentic except the arrow shown in the top of the case and the obsidian knife below it, and a few odds and ends like the fossils, A Civil War "bullet in wood", and a tiny Almanac for 1886.

The oldest piece is between 8 and 10 thousand years old.

Jonny, That is the best collection of old Indian artifacts that I have ever seen. Very nice display and it's amazing that you and your family found all of them.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Jonny, That is the best collection of old Indian artifacts that I have ever seen. Very nice display and it's amazing that you and your family found all of them.

Thanks. Thats represents many miles of walking farm rows.

Spotted your Stevens "Bicycle Rifle" in your display. Had one in .32 RF Short many years ago. Loved the sights with the pin head aperture front and peep rear in addition to the conventional notch and blade. At the time I was in college and if I saw something I just had to have, something else had to go.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Not surprisingly mine displays all examples of what is referred to as "useable ivory". This includes Elephant, Walrus, Narwhal, Sperm Whale, Wart Hog, Hippopotamus as well as fossil Walrus and fossil Mammoth. There are several Native American (Inuit) artifacts including totems, fire starters, and harpoon points. The only non-tooth is a Musk Ox horn tip which I included because it's such a popular handle material.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I have several deep glass-topped cases, 'and' even an enclosed rotating bookcase - and a curved-glass old cigar case, to boot.

I used to have a case made from an old iron-rimmed wagon wheel, fitted with a Lexan top - it was perfect for Old West 'stuff', but it went to another collector as a gift when he built his new house.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nice displays guys

Here's what I used to have in mine up until a couple of years ago. It was a D day themed collection. Most all the GI stuff was dated before June 1944.

but I tired of that and put in a small collection of Bowie knives--Case, Western, custom, and few cheap imports
I couldn't get the light right, so the second picture is with the drawer slid out of the coffee table

cheers

·
The Consummate Collector
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forward_observer, Looks like we have the same brand of coffee table. Nice job on your displays. I can't decide which one I like best but that's the fun of having a display table as the displays can keep changing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
forward_observer, Looks like we have the same brand of coffee table. Nice job on your displays. I can't decide which one I like best but that's the fun of having a display table as the displays can keep changing.
I think you may be right. The dark colored facsimile pegs are in the exact same places. Of course my displays can't equal the high quality of yours. My table has 3 shallow drawers including the top with a velvet flock covered cardboard liner for the display. They slide out from either side. The bottom one has an oval brass plate on an inside surface with somebody's signature--maybe the designer or maker which I can't quite make out---something like Bob Lim?????. I've had it for at least 20 years. Back then, one couldn't walk into a furniture store with out tripping over examples of these display tables in all sizes and types of wood.

Then, either because they fell out of favor or didn't sell well enough to justify continuing to manufacture, they sort of disappeared. In looking on line, I couldn't find anything similar currently for sale. Of course at my age these days, I don't shop for furniture unless what I'm using just simply wears out and/or falls apart--LOL

Cheers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts