Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still under a wife imposed incarceration due to recent surgery. So been sort of thinkin' like I was an armorer to a novelist. The period that I'm dwelling on the years just before World War II. What a time of intrigue and espionage. Places like Singapore, Rangoon, Macao, Casa Blanca. Spies and secret agents, assassins and soldiers of fortune.

Now suppose you are asked to arm some fictional character. What pistol or revolver would he use?

Watching old movies, (especially Charlie Chan) the villain usually prefers a Luger. But there are the Mauser and Walther pistols, Spanish and Hungarian pistols; the Colt Pocket Models as well as the Remingtons. Maybe even a revolver such as a Colt Bankers Special or a Webley RIC or Bulldog.

He could fly overseas in a Boeing Clipper, or maybe a British Sunderland Flying boat.

Got to be an extremely interesting period of history!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Humphrey Bogart in the "Continuing Adventures of Rick Blaine" where he's armed with nothing other than a Colt 1903 or 1908 Pocket Model. His sidekick Louis, the former French police officer would be armed with a French MAS 1935 in .32 French Long.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, the .32 ACP seemed to be the standard for concealable pistols. So a Colt 1903, Savage 1907, Webley 1908, or Mauser 1914 would work. I'm just scratching the surface, so many different pistols were chambered for the cartridge. It was an interesting time to be sure. Check out the novels by Alan Furst, most were set in that time. However, if your character travels by air, he should fly on a De Havilland Dragon Rapide.

Unknown-2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Maybe a Russian Nagant revolver, about the only revolver you could really silence as the cartridge sealed the gas from comming out at the barrel cylinder gap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have often thought of a time in which I would wish to be re-born. Among the most interesting times would be "between the wars". Born maybe around 1900...growing up a bit young for WW1 but a little too old for WW2.

What a time! Aircraft, automobiles, electricity, radio, cinema all emerged all within a generation, and think of all that they brought. The dawn of the modern age.

It was also the golden age of mechanical engineering with some of the best firearms ever made. Architecture, art, and pride of craftsmanship. But still a time when most people lived rural and values were what we might long for now.

Sure, the millennials can rag on what was wrong with that era (and be somewhat right), but for me, it still seems idyllic, the 1918 flu pandemic and the rise of Hitler and Stalin notwithstanding.

If I were to arm a fictional secret agent type character? A man who lived by his wits would need little more than a .25 Colt or Browning.

What would I choose for myself? If hopefully re-born well heeled, certainly the Colt Pocket auto, the Remington 51, a PPK, or maybe of the Colt pocket revolvers, and a Bullseye MT as a present from my wife for my 40th birthday. But if born common, as in this life, probably an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Ortgies 32acp or 1934 Beretta.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Ei8ht you did it again my friend. I don't know where you dig up these pics they are awesome and I can understand why now you like these little model M Colts so much. They are from a period of such great mystery theaters and the pistol it self captures all that mystery and excitement from that era. I have to say they are of great simple design and even today worth consideration for carrying for the sole purpose of self defense. Perfect size and slim lines. Love the Bogart pics. I think I will watch that movie later today on Netflix. During the early years of the 20th century there were many companies who made small guns for vest pockets and such. The varieties are many as are the manufacturers. It won't be hard to make a choice since you can pic anyone to go with the story.

Reactions: colt03 and ei8ht

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Browning 1910, 1922.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ad to the mix a Fairbourne (sp) knife from the Inspector at the Shanghai Police Dept. Same time period.......

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 20 of 36 Posts