Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A reminder to those who live in a cold climate to get their firearms properly cleaned. I noticed today that some of my Colt .22 Woodsmans were getting a little sluggish with the temps below freezing. Don't forget the magazines too. Walther PP Sport.jpg Sorry, wrong pic.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Uhyup. 7 degrees here this morning

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I live in cold winter weather and the problem of getting the glove off your shooting hand quickly is also a tough one. Most gloves won't go through the trigger guard. If I'm in a place with possible danger I take the right glove half off so, if needed, I can whip it off quickly with a flick of the wrist. That works and seems quick. I keep the half-gloved hand in my coat pocket to keep it warm. If your shooting hand is half-frozen I don't think you'll shoot well.

One good thing. In the winter street crime goes down a lot. Apparently perps don't like to be outside.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most common problem that I've seen at deer camps is the firing pin gummed up in the bolt channel. People seem to use excessive amounts of oil and grease on there guns and when the temps dip the problems start. I also tell hunters to leave their firearms outside instead of bringing them in & out of a warm area so they don't sweat. That moisture might seem insignificant but it will accumulate and cause problems. Think ice and rust.

gvf: Have you ever tried the mittens with the slit across the inside of finger area? They probably would stand out a bit when you're all dressed up in town though!

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Yeah...it can be a bit tough to handle a gun when you're bundled up like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story".

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The most common problem that I've seen at deer camps is the firing pin gummed up in the bolt channel. People seem to use excessive amounts of oil and grease on there guns and when the temps dip the problems start. I also tell hunters to leave their firearms outside instead of bringing them in & out of a warm area so they don't sweat. That moisture might seem insignificant but it will accumulate and cause problems. Think ice and rust.

gvf: Have you ever tried the mittens with the slit across the inside of finger area? They probably would stand out a bit when you're all dressed up in town though!
Where do you get these mittens. Sounds interesting...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Where do you get these mittens. Sounds interesting...
If you buy a large size you can wear a pair of GI glove liners underneath. These are easy to access the trigger with your finger without having to pull the mitten from your hand when the need arises. In general, I have found mittens keep my hands much warmer than the thin gloves that allow me pull the trigger without removing them. Bulky gloves, while warm, just don't make suitable hunting gloves.

Shannon's Men's Bug Tamer® Plus Mitts : Cabela's

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
If you buy a large size you can wear a pair of GI glove liners underneath. These are easy to access the trigger with your finger without having to pull the mitten from your hand when the need arises. In general, I have found mittens keep my hands much warmer than the thin gloves that allow me pull the trigger without removing them. Bulky gloves, while warm, just don't make suitable hunting gloves.

Shannon's Men's Bug Tamer® Plus Mitts : Cabela's
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I was raised in Wisconsin and I had those mittens with the slots back in the 1950`s for deer hunting. The warmest mittens or other cloths are actually rubberized. I once owned a cheap plastic or rubberized Motorcycle jacket. I have rode in winter, been hit with heavy cold rain etc, and the only area I was warm in was what the jacket or gloves covered. Of course the stinking rising steam off your body wasn't nice when you took em off in a cafe or whatever.
Was that the Gulf Coast or Golf course??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts