Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collectible SAA\'s

I am new to Colts; have been a collector of Rugers, so I guess you guys would say I am graduating into the bigtime. My interest is single action revolvers. I have a very broad question. Among 2nd and 3rd generation and later custom shop SAA's, and considering only "standard" guns (i.e. not engraved, cased, etc.), where does collectibility start and end? I imagine the earlier the better, with box better, and obviously condition is important. Basically, I guess I'm asking if 3rd gen. are collectible or if one should stick to 2nd and earlier. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Re: Collectible SAA\'s

welcome to the forum.first gen guns are very pricey in collector grade, 2nd guns nib,or as nib are almost as bad.personally i dont think any saa is going to loose much value. the old advise buy the best you can afford applies here.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I would like to add another question to this thread.
Does Colt still make the SAA,if so is the quality as good as the Python as in the lock up and the finish ?
I have read so much about the Python revolver and how well they were made and was wondering if the same could be said for a new SAA if there are any ?

·
Registered
154 Posts

The scope of American history that took place durning the production of 1st gen SAA's (1873-1940) makes them highly collectable. The sky can be the limit on the price of these guns, but common examples with little or no original finish remaining can be had for a reasonable price by Colt standards. Far fewer 2nd gen's were made (approx 73,000) during their 20 years of production ending in 1975. I believe the earlier production 2nd gen's to be of higher quality than the later ones. Some internal changes were made to 3rd gen guns to lessen manufacturing costs. They are still attractive guns. I bought a new one several years ago for SASS shooting, the bolt broke at less than 1000 rounds and the front sight popped out of it's milled slot after being lightly bumped. Colt quality. Before collecting SAA Colts (1st & 2nd generation anyway), I would invest in some appropiate reference books, there are many misrepresented guns at there. Just a thought, If Colt Manufacturing goes belly up, or stops producing SAA, I would quess the values of all these fine guns should increase. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts

I would guess that any of them have a certain degree of collectability.

FWIW, one of the guys that I hunt with is a sales rep here in Georgia for Accusport and he was telling me last weekend that he sold one of the new 3rd Gen Custom Shop SAAs to one of his dealers who had special ordered it for a customer. The dealer had called back to return the gun because of poor fit and finish. He told me when they got the gun back that they counted over 70 separate tool marks on the barrel alone. The customer didn't feel that was appropriate for a $1,000+ pistol. However, he said they ultimately returned the gun to Colt and the replacement that they sent was fine. I have a custom shop Python Elite that is finished just as nice as my older Pythons so it may be that it is just hit or miss with Colt these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I just purchased a very early 2nd generation .45 x 5 1/2 B/CH/HR in about 90% condition for $1450, and was happy to get it at that price. In my experience - and I've done a lot of research - the Blue Book values are optimistic. I've scoured the auctions (real and virtual), online ads, Gun List, and gun shows for many years and have yet to encounter one like it in shootable condition at Blue Book price. I was about to buy a NIB 3rd generation and grit my teeth while I fired the first shot.

I probably paid a bit of a premium for this gun, but I can shoot it without devaluation, and I really like its low serial number of 3xxxSA. I can also tell you that the fit and finish are second to none. You can see, but not feel the line between any of the joints, including the grips and straps, the color case is deep but subdued, and the blue is smooth but not glossy.

As soon as I can, I'll post a picture.

Dorsey

·
Registered
47 Posts

I've been aware of Collector's Firearms for a few years, and actually visited their store many years ago during a trip to Houston. I think that their prices are among the highest, but I've never actually tried to negotiate with them.

I find the prices people actually paid for things extremely useful, which both eBay and GunBroker allow; you also get to see what prices aren't obtained. I also use AuctionArms, but I don't know if they have a similar facility. So, there are the BlueBook and other printed price guides, realized auction prices from Greg Martin, Butterfield & Butterfield, et al, recently paid online auction prices, and whatever you can find at gun shows. Occasionally, I'll find an item of interest at a local gun store (a 98% Camp Perry at $800 about three years ago!), but those are very few and far between.

My collecting interest falls into the purview of a C&R, but the state I live in pays little attention to that, requiring a full state license, and these are rarely issued unless you're a big operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts