Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle recently passed away and left his gun collection to the family. I have spent hours, upon hours, searching the blue book of guns and gunbrokers.com trying to get accurate values for his collections. The issue I am having is the blue book does not contain info on rare guns (like the three Don Tedford pythons), commemorative sets (two colt sets), government 1911s, or bicentennial set. My family is really at a loss when comes to the value of what appears to be a rare set of guns. I would really appreciate some help from the group. I want to make sure my family does not get taken advantage of over a collection that my uncle held deer. If you have any suggestions as to how I can accurately track the values of these guns I would really appreciate it. Thanks again, long live the 2nd amendment!

·
Registered
800 Posts
My uncle recently passed away and left his gun collection to the family. I have spent hours, upon hours, searching the blue book of guns and gunbrokers.com trying to get accurate values for his collections. The issue I am having is the blue book does not contain info on rare guns (like the three Don Tedford pythons), commemorative sets (two colt sets), government 1911s, or bicentennial set. My family is really at a loss when comes to the value of what appears to be a rare set of guns. I would really appreciate some help from the group. I want to make sure my family does not get taken advantage of over a collection that my uncle held deer. If you have any suggestions as to how I can accurately track the values of these guns I would really appreciate it. Thanks again, long live the 2nd amendment!
Sorry for your loss. I'd check places like gunbroker.com and even search the completed auctions to help determine a value. There's also a lot of very knowledgeable members here, that I'm sure could assist, if provide some good photos and descriptions.

·
Premium Member
8,204 Posts
I've see several posts over the years about how how us gun collectors should have a gameplan for our loved ones that are left with a large and expensive collection of guns to deal with upon our passing. I need to get in gear with that myself, because we never know. Sorry for your loss. You may have a bit more work ahead of you, but as previously stated, good photos and details/photos of the manuals, boxes with them, and I know you can get accurate current retail market prices. Then you can be better equipped to sell your whole collection to a dealer, sell yourself at retail, or distribute equally amongst relatives and also insure properly if desired. Good luck with it and again, condolences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I am in a different part of the state than the collection so photos are hard to come by. We paid a family friend to catalog the entire thing and recently I took videos of everything. Maybe I can find a way to post those. Thanks for all the kind words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.