Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently read Mitch's re-post on the Forum's mission statement.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/90670-colt-forum-mission-statement.html

Which go me thinking why I like the forum so much. Not a lot of chitty, chatty talk. All tasty SAA conversations here :) Anyway we all "collect" for our own reasons. It might be one gun or no gun yet or several safes full. I've been at the no gun level and then later the one gun level. The one gun I couldn't seem to hang on to in tough times. Now, decades later, I am lucky enough to have a few.

While my "collecting" doesn't really have much in common for caliber or barrel length, I am not generally a 5.5"or a 38wcf fan . Altough the gun I've had the longest is a 5.5", 38wcf. My favorite to shoot is a 7.5" .45 because it is easier to hit with. Longer sight radius, good balance and less recoil with full house loads by comparison to the shorter barreled guns. My most accurate guns are 32wcf.

But no doubt for what ever reason I like the 4 3/4" guns because they are smaller, handy I guess. Not "1911 handy" but "SAA handy":cool:

Been shooting some recently which I have avoided in the last 18 months or more. (not all my fault) Shooting the Colt projects I've been working on most recently. All of which got me excited to shoot some of my older guns as well. With a new barrel vise bolted to my work bench I've had the chance to go back to some "stand by guns" and see if they (and I) would still shoot as good as they did a few years ago. Shooting is why I collect my guns. But "only accurate guns are interesting" :)

How they shoot is the point for my collecting.

The first gun is so accurate I original named it the "card cutter" having cut three playing cards with there consecutive shots. Something I'd not done prior and have not attempted since. Never named a gun either:cool:. It is a gun that deserved being engraved even though I really stressed about pulling the barrel and getting it back together correctly for POA/POI. Not to worry (ya right) the gun came out no worse for the experience.

The second gun shot well prior to engraving. Loved the engraving but the gun never shot to POA/POI after the engraving. Disappointing at best. Buttttt... I recently bought a new barrel vise. This gun was part of the reason I'd spend the time, effort and money to buy and mount a new barrel vise. Now I am thinking it was money well spent.

1st target is 24 from each gun @ 15 yards just to warm up. Things were looking good at that point. But then I only show the good targets I shoot not the bad ones! And I do shoot some "bad" ones. Just didn't today so I quit early!

This target was 6 rounds from the 2nd gun at the same distance. Shooting a SAA is a challenge by comparison to other handguns (can you say 1911). And this is why I collect the t SAA.

I like to shoot. And have for the better part of 30+ years been able to shoot a lot, 10,000s of rounds every year, day in and day out. Most of that handgun ammo. One might wonder why I shoot so much at 10 or 15 yards...or even 5 or 7 yards. Couple of reasons. 1st is that if you can't put one bullet on top of the other at 5 yards you sure as chit aint gonna do it at 25 yards. So I start and stay as close as required until I can get bullet after bullet on top of one another. 2nd? Now over 60 my eyes aren't as good as they use to be (sound familiar) so where I use to be able to see a .45 caliber bullet hole on white paper at 25yds in bright sun light, I find it much easier now at 10 may be 15 yards on a good day. Old saying, "you can't hit what you can't see". Truth there. If you are lucky like me I can still focus on the front sight and see a target at some distance. Not as good as I once was, shooting iron sights @ 1000 yards, high power, but good enough to still hit the black at 25 yards and the same bullet hole if I am lucky that day and the light is good at 15 :)

Besides the fact we're all just hoarders :bang_wall:...have you ever thought why you collect the SAA?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I was going to go into a rant about our freedom to own Colts but figured I would be preaching to the choir. Not many countries would allow private ownership of these great guns and even in America that right is being taken away. I collect and shoot them because I can, I hope my family can say that after I am gone.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Shooting the SAA is a joy in itself. First off you're holding history in your hand and secondly it's just a special revolver that you have to shoot to appreciate just how good it is. Of course with the value of NIB 1'st and 2'nd gen examples I can see why a collector would want to keep it that way. But with an older one with some wear on it I say enjoy the thrill of shooting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've ben in love with the Colt SAA since I was kid watching westerns on TV in the 50s. Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel... Got my first one in 1972 and a few more since then. I love cowboy action shooting 'cause I can play with my Colts. For me there really is no other hand gun.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have other guns too, but the SAA and the 1911 have been part of my psychic make-up since I was just post toddler. I vividly remember waking up one morning with my mother in my room cleaning the windows. In the dream that I was having just before I woke I had a 1911 that was mine and for some reason it was very important to me. As I was waking I dreamed that I had to hide the gun so she wouldn't see it. I lay awake in bed worrying about it while she was still in there and then, as dreams are, I started to forget where I hid it and by the time she left I couldn't remember at all. I searched all that day for the gun. I know that I was younger than 5 years at the time as I hadn't started school yet. I still remember looking at that gun in my dream and I don't know how I could be so accurate in the detail of it, there wasn't one in my family. There was a time that I started to believe it was a past life memory or something. Both parents were WW2 vets. What a different world it was.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I sure wish I could afford to be “collecting and shooting the SAA.”

Well, I suppose I could go without eating for a few months. :)

They sure are amazing guns.
It would be worth it! All you need is one and believe me you'll enjoy it more than anyone that gas more than one!

When I was 5 or so and before I even had my first toy gun, I had an erector set. All I ever made with it was handguns and rifles until all the parts were used. Then I never took them apart; my first gun collection! They were all Colt single actions and Winchester lever actions.....

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I'm over 60 as well and now my main interest in handguns is the Colt SAA. It's to the point that if I buy say a S&W I get bored with it quickly and end up selling it my LGS. This is wasteful so I'm going to stick with the SAA. Maybe I can blame it on Roy Rogers or John Wayne for my love of the Colt SAA. I don't have a 7 1/2" barreled SAA and I'm going to fix that soon I hope. Also I don't shy away from Colt commemoratives as long as their not too gaudy and they are 2nd gen Colt's. My latest a WV comm DSCN0646.JPG I replace the faux pearl grips with Colt grips. The only gold on it is on the grip straps and paper plates don't stand a chance at 10 to 15 yards.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
It started with a Woodsman MT 1958, then a Python 1966, then a Diamondback 1972 then the 1911A1 then Brownings, Smiths, Rugers, Walthers, Astras, HiStandard, Glock, Kimber, more Colts and finally CAS and the 2 Colts (my avatar) the guns of my dreams from watching all the cowboy serial movies in the 1940's. Why did I wait so long? and so it continues.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hondo, writing about the guns he made as a child took me back to my own youth.
By the time I was eight years old I had filled a Radio Flyer Wagon with Colt SAA copy handguns.
The red wagon was my first gun safe.
Nobody taught me to like Colt SAAs except maybe the westerns on TV.
My father only owned one gun - a Marlin .22 pump that was use around the farm like a tool.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
My family had a 1969 set of the World Book Encyclopedia. There was a section on handguns, with a composite photo of the most famous models. The Colt SAA caught my attention. I thought it was just beautiful. Between that and western films, I was hooked.

And when I bought my first one and found how fun it was to shoot, I knew my fascination with the gun had been energy well spent.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
As most of you guys, we have wanted SAA revolvers since we were kids watching Cowboy movies and the weekly TV serials! I was in the same bunch as you guys too. My only problem was I just got the toy Mattel and other manufactures revolvers. But being 5 years old, I thought they were great fun.

Fast Forward into my teens, my love for firearms really increased, but no Colt SAA revolvers now. I got a shotgun and Springfield .22 bolt action rifle from my dad. I finally saved enough grass cutting money to buy myself a Savage .22 single shot that looked like a smaller version of the Winchester 1894 rifle. I thought this was great to have them. I then bought a Marlin 336 in .30-30 for deer hunting and thought that was great. While in College and the Army, I did not have much time for guns until Vietnam and I knew enough to know the good from the bad. The M-16 was OK, but I found that the AK-47 was better for jungle fighting, LOL!

When I got out of the Army, I went to work and then had money to begin buying old WW1 and WWII surplus rifles and a few handguns. This love for military firearms lasted a long time and then the Old West began to knaw at me at about 30 yr. old. Well, the cost of Colts were beyond my budget, but I could buy the 1911/ or A1 at gun shows if I saved my money and found "deals"! As time progressed, I began to do well at work and this gave me more money to buy firearms. About 5-6 years ago, I bought my first Colt SAA 1st Gen revolver. Was I exceited with this one, but the BUG had bitten me bad for the SAA revolver. Now I have plenty, but still want to buy more. I then began to want other Old West firearms, Winchester, Remington, S&W, Merwin-Hulbert, etc. Now I have them and really don't need more. But the old BUG is still in me, and now still wants the "just one more" and I will be satisfied....... Colt SAA revolver. Being satisfied will not happen, LOL!

·
Registered
204 Posts
As most of you guys, we have wanted SAA revolvers since we were kids watching Cowboy movies and the weekly TV serials! I was in the same bunch as you guys too. My only problem was I just got the toy Mattel and other manufactures revolvers. But being 5 years old, I thought they were great fun.
I fall into that same category and still have my Shootin' Shell guns from the late 50's. If you think reloading ammo is expensive, you should try to find ammo for that Shootin' Shell.

Another fun gun to shoot in the house is the Colt BB gun with brass cartridges that hold a BB or pellet. It is CO2 fired and works great...

DSCN1645.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_3818.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Well, my first SAA sort of wasn't. It was a Crosman Single 6 .22 caliber pellet pistol. It shot many a Indians or bad buckeroos back in the day in the early sixty's before I got my first real revolver, which I no longer have. Anyways here it is in all its glory. It has a place of honor along side the rest of my SAA's

Crosman Pellet Left.JPG Crosman Pellet 1.JPG

·
Registered
505 Posts
My imaginary gunfights must have been in a rougher part of the west than were yours, Triumph. All of my capguns and my Shootin' Shell rifle blazed until they "plum wore out"--in pieces. If only I'd had a batch of J-B KwikWeld back then!

Collecting SAA's--Story is similar to the 1950's kids here. Westerns, desire, no money, . . . The twist for my tale is the '73 Winchester that was my Great-grandfather's. I started hunting with it in my teens, and for several decades wanted to match it to a .38 WCF Colt. After turning 60+ I bought one that "Talks to me" as discussed in another thread today. Within weeks, another one came home. I intend to find one more, since I have three sons who love to shoot. Each Colt will have a different barrel length.

Certainly wish I'd fulfilled the dream earlier in my life. Not much in Life will bring such instant Peace to one's Spirit as one can feel in cocking a Colt. (A dandy century-old Winchester carried in the woods has been known to have the same effect.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts