Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe 5 years from now and maybe a lot less you are going to see the Anaconda and the King Cobra really advance in price.What do you think? All input appreciated.Also how rare do you think factory engraved Anaconda's are?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
No body has a crystal ball, so anything we say will only be conjecture on our part. The fact is that Colt has gone out of the double action business and may not return, so the belief is that all Colts will go up in price as more people get into collecting them and they are no longer available. Which ones will go up more than others is a crap shoot. Obvious ones are the .357 and the original Trooper amoung others. If we knew we would all have invested heavily in Diamondbacks back about 6 or 7 years ago. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dick:
I honestly believe the Colt Double actions are sadly history.None will ever be produced again.They are so costly to make and the interest with the younger folks is not as great as us older guys.I am sure there will always be some younger collectors but not like my generation who actually remember when all police carried revolvers.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Dick:
I honestly believe the Colt Double actions are sadly history.None will ever be produced again.They are so costly to make and the interest with the younger folks is not as great as us older guys.I am sure there will always be some younger collectors but not like my generation who actually remember when all police carried revolvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Crystal Ball>>> hmmmmm >>>> Yes, I believe original Colt double action revolvers will increase in price. That includes the King Cobra, the MKV, Detective Special, and the Anaconda. Colt revolvers will outpace inflation in value. The same qualities that increase the perceived value will continue to separate certain firearms from the masses. Diamondbacks will certainly continue to appreciate, but probably not at the pace they have in the last two years.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Any engraved Colt is considered rare including Anaconda's... Addressing the enhanced value of DA's down the road; I consider it a no brainer (which is right up my ally) simply because they were increasing in value prior to their discontinuance (more so of the the King Cobra)... Now by adding the icing to cake, the only logical answer is yes, both will increase...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've always thought of Colts as Harley Davidsons.They're overpriced.Always you get arguements on better guns,which some are and some aren't,just as in Harleys.But it's a cult following,and no one can dispute that...So if you want to know how much a nice rare Colt will someday be valued,,,look up what a 60's Harley Panhead is worth now,and I think you will be looking to buy more and probably better grade Colts.

Personaly I don't ride a bike.Those things aren't safe for numbskules like me.But if I did,I'd ride a Harley and no other.

Just like I think Colts are the best investment one can make in the long term.It's been proven too many times over the years.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
To the rest of the gun world (excluding Colt fans) the Anaconda was never very popular. It didn't sell very well compared to the Smiths and Rugers. The KC followed the same fate as the Anaconda and will probably never be more than say $100 more than the S&W M686. Both are very good revolvers, but they never kept pace in sales against the competition. They will gain in price some being out of production Colts, but no where near the pace of some of the older Colts. The Anaconda will probably gain the least as it's price was over inflated when it became a Custom Shop model. It's price most likely have already topped out at the Custom Shop model's price. Now the bargains will be the early models that sold for more sane prices selling for the Custom Shop model's prices, but some sellers have been looking for that price for some time now.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I agree with Majic. I think the "classic" 20th century Colt DA revolvers will be where the collecting interest and price increases will be. When I say "classic" I mean Pocket Positive, Police Positive, Official Police, New Service, and their derivatives and immediate predecessors. The later models will have to wait longer to realize a significant monetary premium for collectibility.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, I might as well stick my 2 cents in. I think the various versions of the Colt target guns are the real sleepers of Colt collecting. They all have adjustable sights, so can still be shot regularly, even in competition with prudently powered ammo.

Also the Diamondbacks. I am so glad we acquired a few before they took the latest price jump after the new book came out. I think their neat mini Python apprearance helps their value.

We have an 6" Ultimate SS 45 Anaconda that has doubled in value in the two years since we bought it.

That's most of what I think. We have some oddballs that are fairly valuable for their scarcity, like 357's, and Vipers, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think the various versions of the Colt target guns are the real sleepers of Colt collecting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have always found just the opposite. The target guns have always been premium guns and highly sought after. Except for a few that were made in limited numbers the fixed sighted guns were a dime a dozen and only now are attracting more and more collectors. Which I think is influenced by price more than anything else. The premium target guns are skyrocketing in price.
The only real sleeper of the target guns is the "357" and only because most gun fans think it's just another everyday Trooper.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I dunno, I was buying 95-98% target Colt revolvers fairly recently for rather reasonable prices that no longer exist.

My comment was based wholly on my opinions, and experiences, which are based on our purchases within the last year or so.

We do not buy fixed sight revolvers. We can't afford to buy everything, so concentrate on what we like. We did buy a 99% DS lately with square butt stocks. But that is a pretty scarce revolver, and was well worth breaking the norm for us.

What makes this forum great, is varying interests, and opinions.

Bob

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
All this talk is making me itchy for another Colt. You all buy far more guns than I could ever afford. But, I do know where a 98% 1st Series Woodsman is that is priced below market. I need to look at it again... closely. It may not be quite 98%.

Some day my wife will thank me for buying Colts. She mostly thinks I waste a lot of money on them now.

I agree with most of what has been said about Colts. They all will eventually be desireable in 95% or better condition. Latest edition was a 22/22WMR Peacemaker. Pretty typical 100% speciman (unfired and unturned), but nice. I NEED another Diamondback too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
22 Rimfire:
I have decide that it is quite possible that Colt's in 99+ condition will outrun inflation.If I decide to invest money now I try to find a nice Colt or one of the better Smiths(older ones).

·
Registered
778 Posts
It used to be that any new gun purchase was greeted by wife with howls of wasted money comments. Telling her that her clothes purchases did not appreciate in value just made her madder.

I finally sat down at the computer, and made up a spreadsheet showing, mfg., model, description, etc., and most important the last two columns are Cost, and Todays Value, with TOTALS. Printed it out, and gave her a copy.

She now even makes nice comments when I buy one at a below market value.

Make up a firearm spread sheet. Every gun owner/collector should have one anyway, in case you pass on, so your family dosen't sell all your guns for $50.00 each to cousin Louie, who never liked you anyway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I went looking the other day and found I couldn't find a modern fully equipted 100% Officers Match for cheap money.Most have the grips stripped off of em or whole gun is 90% or lower.

·
Registered
764 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It used to be that any new gun purchase was greeted by wife with howls of wasted money comments. Telling her that her clothes purchases did not appreciate in value just made her madder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar situation with me and my wife. She hasn't complained since I showed her my powerpoint slide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts