Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, thought you might like to see this relic Colt and knife found together in Mill Creek near Meeker, Colorado, 40 years ago. Has three fired and three unfired rounds in the cylinder. I was able to lift the number off the trigger guard, 44180, but it's a no record gun. Paul said there is a block of numbers in that range showing no record, maybe a damaged page in the ledger. Other guns in that range were sent to Denver in 1878. I have three others within 100 numbers shipped to J.P. Lower, in a fifty gun shipment. Note that the cartridge heads have no head stamp which is correct for a military issue cartridge of the period sold by UMC. The knife is a slender clip point Bowie with a coffin grip of stag or bone. Could not lift any markings except for a series of slashes on the guard where the missing grips meets up with it. Cool piece of history that I wish could talk a little more to me.
JP

CIMG2958.JPG CIMG2959.JPG CIMG2960.JPG CIMG2957.JPG CIMG2961.JPG

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did you use a Metal Detector or were you magnet hunting....???

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found during a gold panning trip by and old friend. He had them mounted on a moth eaten velour covered board. Tossed that out pronto and am going to use a piece of barn wood to mount these along with my relic Sharps 45-70 rifle. Will make a great display. Sharps also from a Colorado creek and has the J.P. Lower stamping still visible. Lever is locked down, breech block missing, no wood, bent tangs. Just as rough as these characters. Now all I need is a 73 Winchester relic. BTW the gate was jimmied open by the last owner after he used break free on the pivot area. Probably a lot of internal grease in that area but it is surprising that it broke free. Perhaps the greasy fingers of the shooter preserved the surfaces enough to allow eventual movement too.

JP

JP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Interesting. Looks like this particular individual was carrying with all 6 chambers loaded. Was the loading gate frozen open when it was found?
Kinda shows that the old west guys used the Colts as a six gun, not a five gun for safety as thought of in today's world by the drug store cowboys.
What a wonderful display together that will make, the knife makes it even more interesting.
I would leave them both alone, bullets and all and put them in a shadow box made of old wood. Thanks for the pic's. what a great find.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts