Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with info on a Colt New Frontier 22 cal. I am not finding much info looking under that name but that is what is on the barrel I am looking for an orginal box and ran across this one on Ebay that says Scout 22. Is it the same gun or not? I couldnt find a listing on internet for my serial number either. I called Colt and they said it was a 1972 model Serial number is G328XX Any info on gun would be appreciated. I am only a few months into collecting Colts.VINTAGE COLT SCOUT REVOLVER .22 L.R. & MAG.#39 & ORIG.INSTRUCTIONS & BOX-RARE ! | eBay

colt1.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am new to Colt Forum. Not sure if I was clear, the gun is mine and the link is to the box on ebay

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Wilkerson's book "Scouts Peacemakers and New Frontiers" is an accurate resource for these revolvers. He states on PG 169 " The first shipping cartons used in the G series revolvers were of two piece cardboard construction. The top was covered with a tan leather-grain paper; the bottom was covered with white paper." "Carton was placed inside a slip case made of plain cardboard. The serial number of the revolver was printed on the end label of the carton". Your end label would have: "Colt's New Frontier 22" . Spaces provided for Model Number, Serial Number, Option (dual cylinder), Barrel Length, Finish, Invoice Number and Date". In 1974 a different carton was introduced. Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
I just got into collecting single action Colts for a couple of years now, and side tracked right into the Single action Colt 22's. The price point can be a little better than the big calibers, but they have gotten awfully popular and a few sellers have gotten awfully crafty with trying to make something worth more than it really is. ( I have a post in the Lounge on one recently that probably is not what the seller says it is). The good news is that I have enjoyed it thus far, and these people have been extremely helpful in pointing out real deals and the real dill pickles (ones to avoid). Bucken may be listed as our resident expert.. but as stated by several, that Wilkerson's book is an absolute must if you ever want to truly collect them. I blindly bought 3 or 4 before I got the book... sheer luck was the only reason I didn't get burned.
Now just yesterday I walked into pawn shop that has a New Frontier 22 (NF, has the case hardened frame and a ramped front sight and adjustable rear sight) with short barrel.. short barrels cost more, especially in good shape with nothing missing. However, sellers know this and tend to ask too much. Asking $600 and only has the 22mag cylinder with it. I would call it a 90% blued gun. Good shape but I call it "shooter" condition. Colt did make 22mag only guns, but these are rare and only two ways to tell-- either have a letter from Colt or the original box. The end label also tells if its a dual cylinder or not. Most were dual cylinder. This seller has neither. So, its missing box, paperwork, and we have to assume missing the 22LR cylinder. also, depending on what year the gun was made which the serial # determines, the year determines which box it should have come with. If it came in the 2 piece box then it is also missing the cylinder box. If it originally came in the styrofoam box with the faux woodgrain sleeve, then it did not have a separate box for the extra cylinder. Now, the gun will likely sell eventually for that price to someone who just starts collecting that sees a "short barrel" for sale, and its not a terrible price... just missing too much for a collector. A lot more to know than I thought at first. what also happens is a dishonest person will get a gun only for cheaper price and get fake paperwork and a box. Labels are sold on ebay for the particular box, and filled out to match the gun. Then it is sold for a premium price as an all original. Some can be really hard to detect, but many fakers make mistakes. I've found that some photos shared and opinions asked about the potential purchase can prevent the pitfalls. I find that the Forum people are not trying to snipe your deal at all, (they already have a Lion's share of them) and really like helping people. Once you know what to look for, its really fun. Most sellers are honest and I don't mean to sound too cautious, but little details make several hundred dollars diffence. Best of luck and welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Don Wilkerson's essential book "Colt Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" is still in print and available from Carol Wilkerson at CollectColt by Carol K. Wilkerson

MtnSpur is correct on the box type.

(I was bidding seriously on that box on eBay. It finally sold for $355! But not to me. Probably a record price for a Buntline Scout box.)

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
life and the jokes it plays. I had that big write up on this thread about how to avoid some faker pitfalls... and I came home last night with a New frontier that had a replaced barrel and a fake label (which I knew that buying it). Luckily I didn't tuck it away and decided to go ahead and gets some photos posted about the label. The dealer didn't know either, so he took it back with absolutely no question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts