Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I´m Anibal from Mexico.
I need some original service type grips for my Officers Model .38 revolver.
My revolver was made in the 1930´s.
Would anybody know where can I buy them? or anybody has some which can sell it to me?

Anibal
PS Please forgive my bad English

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
No need to apologize. Your english is fine.
I don't have any spare OP grips, at the moment, but original Colt grips appear often on e-bay, and some of the gun auction sites. Prices get a little crazy on e-bay, but take a look at www.auctionarms.com, or www.gunbroker.com, and if they have any listed, the prices will probably be more reasonable. The Officers model, the early Troopers (not the MKIII, or MKV) and the Pythons, used the same size grip frame, so if you're not looking for exact original repalacements, there are many to choose from. CDNN in Abilene Texas, sells reasonably priced new factory, and aftermarket grips, but all for the later models. There are many standard, and target grips available, that will fit, but they won't be like the originals.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hola Anibal! Welcome to the Forum, and your English is perfect by the way.

Those wooden pre-war grips for the OM are very difficult to find available for sale in good condition. I don't know of a source to suggest right now, but you might check Ebay periodically where they do show up from time to time, although they are usually expensive. If you don't need original grips you might want to consider some quality reproductions. Take a look at Collins grips at http://www.inventorscolony.com/collinscraftgrips/detail.asp?ID=272

He makes a set of nice looking reproduction Colt grips with silver medallions for the Python which should also fit your OM. He also offers a hand fitting service for your own pistol, although if you live south of the Border that might prove difficult to accomplish. Eagle Grips also makes some grips for the OM, I think.
Good luck!

Charlie

[This message has been edited by ordnanceguy (edited 12-07-2004).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
And thanks for the advises too.
As the matter of fact I don´t need original grips and I don´t want to espend a lot of money on them.
I bought a pair of Python grips and they fit well in the square butt, but I can´t put the screw through the grips because there is a piece of metal in the middle of the way.
I think the hole for the screw of the original Officers Model were little lower than moderns ones.
That is why I want a set of original grips or ones which look like the originals.

Anibal

·
Registered
794 Posts
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=195600D

These grips can be had with either the silver or gold Colt medallion. They are very close to the original look. Nice grips, perfect shape, 45 bucks American.

If you do not specify they will send you a set with a gold medallion. This would of course be the wrong look for your gun as the gold medallion was used on later guns. You may want to specify light or dark wood.

If you want to know exactly what they look like I can send you a picture via e-mail if I get your address.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh yea, almost forgot. Some early Official Police and Officers Models came with the black hard rubber fleur-de-lis style grips as used on the late Army Specials.

I believe they are available as reproductions from places like Brownells. Originals can be found on the auction sites but may get pricy. I have a couple extra sets of these grips but not really interested in parting with them as sooner or later I'll buy a gun to fit them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally did it.
I finally can put the Python grips on my revolver Officers Model.
I polished the piece of metal wich did´t let me put the screw through the grips, and now there´s enough space for the screw.
The Python grips match the Officers butt perfectly.
Thanks anyway to all of you for your help.

Anibal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts