Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Great review and thanks for posting. Have only seen one in person. May have to consider buying the next time I see one, if the budget allows. Trying to save now to feed my 38 Super and Python addiction though.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Rob - nice education, thanks. Another example of why you gotta enjoy the forum and it's members.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I apologize for my poor writing skills. I had not seen any real information on it so thought I would give it a *shot*

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Rob…nice write up and good pics.
I am not very familiar with this model…is the frame all steel or AL?
I saw a stainless come through my LGS this week as a transfer….first one I had ever seen.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The frame is an aluminum one, I do not believe they offer a steel frame for this yet.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Thanks. The frame is an aluminum one, I do not believe they offer a steel frame for this yet.
Looks like a winner Rob and thank you for the information. As with all "lighter" framed 1911 patterned pistols the law of physics comes into play with recoil. My LW Commander, however, handles recoil extremely well. I'd hope that Colt would offer this DA model in a steel framed version. Gotta love COLT for putting out some great new offerings though :)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,457 Posts
I apologize for my poor writing skills.
Nothing for which to apologize! Your review is well-written, clear and concise, with great pictures. While I first saw this model at a SHOT Show a couple of years ago, I was curious about the mechanism. Now that I can see it, it appears to be almost an exact copy of the Seecamp Double Action Conversion. Colt is using the stocks to cover the mechanism, as it did with the Double Eagle, whereas Seecamp used a metal cover and standard stocks. (I would have preferred a side plate and standard stocks, rather than the ungainly stocks Colt is using, and which chaosrob finds uncomfortable.) I wonder if the Seecamp patent has expired, or if Colt is paying royalties to Seecamp?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JC, You have a lot of knowledge on Colt's in general and you are a stickler from proper terminology and information. To get any kind of acknowledgment from you on any of my posts was certainly not anticipated. No offense is meant but you are a tough person to please, even though you are correct in the standards and expectations you set in your replies.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The one I saw the other day was a Double Eagle….I just now realized that this is not what the OP has…it is the new DA that Colt has been promising for some time.

I guess I didn't even give Colt the benefit of the doubt regarding the release…oops!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice review! Any chance we can get a shot of the inside of the right grip? There appears to be panel covering a recess on the right side of the frame, the poor resolution of my screen doesn't allow me to see if the trigger pin is a screw holding that on, can you advise?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Chaosrob, do you think it would be a simple task to remove the hammer spring and clip a coil off to reduce the trigger pull weight?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will do so later, take pictures and advise.

Nice review! Any chance we can get a shot of the inside of the right grip? There appears to be panel covering a recess on the right side of the frame, the poor resolution of my screen doesn't allow me to see if the trigger pin is a screw holding that on, can you advise?
I will take a look, but I am always hesitant to clip any factory spring. Reliable ignition is more important to me than an extremely light trigger. I would imagine I will not be the only person with a complaint and someone like wolf will put out a proper mfg'd spring to address it. I may try it if I can get a replacement factory spring in case it turns out to be an oops.

Chaosrob, do you think it would be a simple task to remove the hammer spring and clip a coil off to reduce the trigger pull weight?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here are the pics, sorry there was a delay in posting them

ejection side grips

Control side frame and grips. the control side grip has the detent and spring for the slide stop contained in it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts