Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a Colt 1849 Pocket pistol. All serial numbers are matching (SN# 50338) except I cannot find a serial number on the cylinder. Anyone know what that may mean? The cylinder is not original to this pistol? It has the stagecoach scene and the patina matches the rest of the pistol, but no serial number.

Thanks in advanced!

Thanks!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
MY '49s, one a 5 shot, the other a 6 shooter --

One you can see has the s/n on the cylinder & the other probably has too. I wouldn't worry about no cyl s/n, maybe a factory error. On old Colts I've a couple with original factory marking errors, for example caliber error attempt fix by a stamp-over of the correct, same with a s/n. Not much different a work man forgets to put the number on ----->

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
How about a picture?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I fear that the cylinder is probably a well aged modern repro. The box marked 'No.' should read 'COLTS PATENT' with the serial number in another box below it. The type of marking shown is often seen on Italian made revolvers.

Rio

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Others on your side of the Pond will be able to value this outfit more accurately. Good photographs of the accoutrements will help to ascertain their authenticity. The box may be original but has been very badly relined - partitions are too thick and wrong shape.

Rio

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Others on your side of the Pond will be able to value this outfit more accurately. Good photographs of the accoutrements will help to ascertain their authenticity. The box may be original but has been very badly relined - partitions are too thick and wrong shape.

Rio
Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts